Tuesday, December 20, 2005

My eyes, my eyes

I went to the gym again today. Three days in a row! This combination of not working and having paid for the gym is really working wonders...

I started with 2 miles on the treadmill. That felt okay, but I'm still wondering when I'll ever be able to get past these short distances.

Afterwards, I hit the pool. With a lot of resting, I was able to push myself to 8 laps. Since the pool is 25 yards, that gives me a grand total of 200 yards. I'd need to swim more than 8 times as much to get to a mile! (It's actually closer to 9, but 8 times as much would get me through the swim leg of an olympic distance triathlon.) Considering that I was nearly dying out there, it seems hard to imagine. The only thing I can tell myself, is that once upon a time I couldn't run 1 mile. And now I can run 26.2. (Well not now, but recently.) The only thing is that running just required time and effort. I feel like in swimming, having correct and efficient form is much more important. I'm going to try and read up about it, but when it comes down to it, I really think I need somebody to watch me and point out where I'm going wrong. I'm jealous of all these people who have coaches. (Where do these coaches come from? And who pays for them??) I looked into the lessons at the community center here, but the timing won't work out. Since there's a good chance I'll be looking for a place in a different neighborhood soon, hopefully I can take some lessons there. I just hope I'll have the time.

One problem with my inefficient swimming is that my body has become like an extra filtration system for the pool. The amount of chlorinated water entering my mouth and my eyes is way too high. My eyes were burning for the rest of the afternoon, and it kind of ruined my day. (I couldn't even blog!) I ordered the prescription goggles and paid extra to have them send it by UPS. They said I'd have them by Friday, but I'll be happy to have them for next week.

Sorry about the boring post. I'll make it up to you by linking to a video of this woman. I can't hear the word "UPS" these days without thinking of her.

5 Comments:

Blogger brent d. said...

That video is great! Good job on your swimming progress. At least your gaining distance every time!

So, you haven't mentioned it... has the big transit strike affected you? Are you now having to gather up homeless people so that you'll have 4 people in your car?

Wednesday, December 21, 2005  
Blogger Danny said...

Thanks.

Since I don't commute to the city, the strike hasn't hit me too hard. There's a little more traffic, but I stay local most of the time. I know other people are really suffering, so hopefully it will end soon.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005  
Blogger jeanne said...

Prescription googles: that's the answer!! I'm so jealous of you swimming so much.

Oh, i'm jealous of everyone and everything, let's face it! :)

Wednesday, December 21, 2005  
Blogger brent d. said...

TOP THIS CRAZY HAT, YO!

Wednesday, December 21, 2005  
Blogger brent d. said...

Great job on the swim and thanks for translating the laps into miles. I've never been able to figure that out!! (Sad since I'm a CPA and all....)

I would've been SO mad if they had been on strike while we were in town. And since I'm a Southerner no doubt I would've been on the news talking about it (except I have all my teeth and my name isn't Bubba - but if they weren't available I would've been SO in).

Wednesday, December 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home