Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Job Expenses

Aren't you supposed to make money when you get a new job? This one's costing me a lot of money. I recently bought 3 suits, which I took in to get tailored today. I also went to the framing store. I've been accumulating various diplomas and certificates over the years, and I finally got around to getting them framed. I spent over $400 just getting 7 of them framed - and that was with relatively cheaper frames! (I looked into doing it myself online, but it really wasn't cheaper, and I'm sure it wouldn't come out right.) I bought some ready made frames for some of my smaller and less important certificates.

I did make it to the gym, as promised. I had spent way more time in the framing store than I had planned for (there's a lot of options!) and there were only twenty minutes left to "open swim" by the time I got to the pool. I was pretty proud of myself: 20 laps (lengths) in 20 minutes. Even the old lady who's there every day commented. She said I must have been taking my vitamin pills because I was swimming much stronger!

I also made some improvement with the breathing. In the past I've tried to get in a few strokes between breaths. Today I tried breathing every 2 strokes - i.e. always on the same side - and I did a lot better. But I still need a lot of practice.

I headed over to the fitness center after swimming. Cycling was tough. It definitely matters which sport I do first. Swimming was easier, but cycling was tougher. I started at a resistance of 10, and gradually lowered it as I went on for a half hour. I did had my HR up to 159 at one point. (Ok fine, I lowered the resistance right after that.) I managed to get to 9.36 miles at 30 minutes, which I evened off to 10 in the cooldown. (By the way, thanks Curly Su for always telling me how amazingly fast my cycling is. Truth is, I doubt it's really amazing. I have no idea how these machines calculate mileage, and I'm sure it's totally different out on the road. But thanks anyway!)

Starting tomorrow I have to start bringing my beeper and cell phone to the pool. I haven't exactly figured out those details, but I'm going to have to rely somewhat on the lifeguards. I've already let the one who's there during the day know. He said it would be ok, but I'm not sure he'd notice the beeper going off. I think his phone calls and sidekick would probably distract him. (Just like I doubt he'd notice anybody drowning either!) I'll have to see how that goes...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have ALWAYS had this question. For one year b/c of my job I had to carry a (second) cell phone on me at all times-but I didn't take it running. Or into the shower. If I went to the gym I put it in my locker with my other stuff. I mean, the primary contact (i was the alternate) had a phone so hopefully one of us could be reached-but "what if?" I used to ask our faculty advisor (this was in undergrad) what she did with her "pregnancy pager" that she had for students to call-24/7, year round-for years on end. Did she ALWAYS have it on and nearby? She was kind of vague in her reply. And for work just recently I was trying to get contact info for one guy-and I needed an alternate-but he said he always had his pager or cell. ALWAYS? What if you're on the beach? I'll get the message when I get back to the blanket...

It's so much responsibility having your pager :) Good luck!! I bet you never knew anyone else had spent so much time thinking about this problem...Keep us updated...

Tuesday, February 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, and depending on how safe your pool is...maybe you could put the pager in a ziploc bag and leave it at the end of your lane (that's what I do with my workout so the paper doesn't get all wet)

Tuesday, February 28, 2006  
Blogger Rae said...

What's up with the suits?? I thought you would have various cute scrubs with cartoon characters on them.

Great job with the workouts! I say you demand a waterproof phone!!!!

Tuesday, February 28, 2006  
Blogger Trisaratops said...

7 diplomas!!! Holy geez! Great job on your workouts! :)

Wednesday, March 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was mentioned! yeah! :)

good job swimming--seems like those drills are starting to pay off, eh?

congrats on the new job!

Thursday, March 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home