Monday, February 27, 2006

Success x 2

I accomplished two things today, both of which have taken me a long time.

Yesterday I posted about my hard drive frustration. Well after many little tweaks I finally got it done. Last night I was able to get the copy program going. It was crawling forward really slowly, and when I went to sleep it was about 35% done, with "2 hours remaining". When I woke up I had "1 second remaining". In one of my earlier failed attempts I had been to this stage, and I knew it took a long time - a lot more than "1 second". Something about checking the MFT. Anyway, I went off to the hospital to deal with my paperwork. When I got home it was done. Only 15 hours later and my hard drive was copied!



It's really quite cool. As an experiment, I physically removed my old hard drive and booted up the computer. No problem! It was if I never switched hard drives. (I know that this was what was supposed to happen - I was just amazed when it actually worked!) I then put back the old drive as a secondary drive, and used it to backup the new drive. Now I can have Norton Ghost back up an image of my drive daily. I know all those non-nerds out there find this boring. But I'm excited to finally have a viable backup plan in place!

My second success today was getting my ID for my new job. After two months of endless paperwork, I went in today for the Human Resources "new hire" session. Five hours later of mandatory lectures, videos, and more paperwork, I finally collected enough signatures to get my hospital ID.


(I haven't decided yet, but this may be a "tbd" picture, a la Brent.)

Don't I look ready for action. Just in case, they fingerprinted me as well. It's funny how they fingerprint the doctors. It's not like I didn't go through a million checks to get into medical school. And then a million checks to write my licensing exam. And then a million checks to get my NY state license. And then a million checks to get my board certification. Hey, I'm not even going to be near the money! I wonder if they fingerprint the people working the cashiers in the cafeteria?


couldn't get all the ink off !

Anyway, I think I should finally be ready to start by March 1st. I'm pretty excited.

Just so you know, not everything today was a success. I tried to renew my driver's license today (while I still have time during the day). I'm not sure why, but it was packed. I drove out to Yonkers because on my two previous trips it's been pretty quiet there. I'm thinking that because it was the day after a weekend, and it was around 3, that it was full of brand new 16 year olds trying to get their permits after school. I heard two mothers discussing their kids:



"My son's birthday was Saturday."
"My daughter's birthday was Sunday."

I guess these parents felt the need to rush their kids into their first accident as soon as possible!! (Yeah, I know. I was 16 once too.)



I got in trouble for the picture inside. "Sir, you can't take pictures in here." Honestly, I didn't see the sign. But what really is the issue? Is there a real security issue if I take pictures there? It's ok for me to spend 5 hours in line memorizing the place, but if I take a picture we've got a "situation". Anyway, I apologized and they didn't ask me to delete the picture. I was just giving up then anyway. The picture was just to show how crazy it was in there. I'll have to go back another (hopefully less busy) time.

One of the reasons I decided to leave was that their (inadequate) parking lot was full, and I had to park at a meter. I only had an hour of time and knew I wouldn't make it. When I left, I saw at least 50% of the cars had tickets on them. I looked at some of them to see what the problem was. They had every reason going: expired meter, expired registration, expired inspection sticker, etc. They were making so much money out there today, they really should give those licenses away for free!

Here' one of my favorite ones. It always annoys me when people in "official" positions feel like they can just park anywhere and get away with it. Here's one who put his "official badge" in the windshield. It seems that the badge was ok for him to park right in front of the "no parking" sign. But an expired registration? Well, we can't just allow total lawlessness!!


I'll leave you with a few more funny pictures I took over the course of the day. (You may have to blow them up to appreciate them.)


coincedence?


false advertising!


other banks may be putting your money to work. we're taking a nap.

The gym, by the way, was another non-success. I'll go tomorrow for sure.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

heya!! that's so exciting about work!! i'm glad you're ready to start!!

Tuesday, February 28, 2006  
Blogger Remco said...

Fingerprints for a job? Crazy..

But congratulations! And thanks for a good read again

Tuesday, February 28, 2006  
Blogger Nancy Toby said...

Your ID photo looks *exactly* like the one in your header!

Go get 'em!!!!!

Tuesday, February 28, 2006  
Blogger LeahC said...

awesome getting everything done! Starting a new job always exciting. I notice on your badge that it says surgery.....all types? or are you specialized in one?

Tuesday, February 28, 2006  
Blogger Rae said...

Yeah! I am going to print out your badge and pose as you ala Jack Bauer in 24.

Love the interal audit pic! As a former auditor it IS a major headache. UGH!

I went and got my license ON my 16th birthday, and then promptly got lost for 2 hours and ended up calling my parents from a payphone 30 miles outside of the city (actually headed towards Nashville from Memphis!). My parents bought me a map the next day!

Tuesday, February 28, 2006  
Blogger brent said...

funny pictures.
nice job on the new job, man.
'tbd' is a very nice blog feature to utilize every once in a while!

Wednesday, March 01, 2006  
Blogger Cris said...

Now all THAT is freakin' cool! Dr. Farkas! Niiiiiiiiiice. What kind of surgery do you specialize in again? You want to assist on a few transplants, so you can help me with mine in a few years? Be nice to have a friend on the other side of the anesthesia.

Saturday, March 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home