Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Trying to get faster

I've been surprisingly sore since Sunday's run. I didn't push hard then, but I guess I did run quite a bit. I think my lack of training during the week makes those long runs tougher.

Anyway, I ran two miles at a relaxed pace yesterday. My plan was to run two miles today, with some bouts of speedwork thrown in. Meaning I'd try to run a few stretches of my run at a fast pace. Somehow, that plan morphed into running one mile as fast I could. (Don't ask. I'm not really sure how it happened.)

It turns out, that after a short warmup, I can run my usual 1 mile stretch in 6:38. I was impressed with that. Of course it meant I couldn't run back home, and I took 10 minutes to catch my breath.

I'd really like to work on my speed. There's definitely a thrill in going really fast. The downside is that it's tough and it hurts. I could not wait for that mile to finish this morning!

I have a 5K this weekend, and another one the following Wednesday. I know I'm not in the best shape of my running career, but I'd like to see how fast I can run this thing. I've said before that I'd like to get my 5K pace down to below 8 minutes. I may not be there yet, but with a 6:38 mile I'm confident that I can get there.

8 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

6:38! That's some pretty nice speed. Keep that kind of workout going and the 8:00 pace for a 5K can't be too far off in the future.

Thursday, May 11, 2006  
Blogger Jack said...

Sounds like you are going to break the 8:00 pace really soon, 6:38 is pretty darn fast.

Thursday, May 11, 2006  
Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

I wish I could run a 6:38 mile! Good luck in your 5k!!

Thursday, May 11, 2006  
Blogger E-Speed said...

I bet you could do 7:50s! 6:38 is pretty good!

Thursday, May 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can DEFINITELY break that 8min/m pace...i'm postive...if you can run one 6:38, you can for sure run three 7:59...it's just a head thing now...

Friday, May 12, 2006  
Blogger Rae said...

Great job on the mile!!!

You can totally do it!! I know you can! To me a 5K is the toughest distance to race.

Friday, May 12, 2006  
Blogger Beanie said...

I don't think I've ever run a mile faster than about a 6:30 and my 5K pr was a 6:47 pace. I'm sure you will do it soon!

Saturday, May 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From a premed yid. Comming up on Log BaOmer. I came across your Blog and was pleasently surprised. I come from a family of runners and love to run. My favorite part is pushing past my top speed just when I feel I can not run faster I speed up. Its pretty hard to find a secluded area to run in. And since I run in a skirt its important to make a Kiddish HaShem. Keep on running and making people feel better.
(BTW a good book to read is Dr. Lown's The Lost Art of Healing") Hatzlacha Rabah

Sunday, May 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home