Monday, April 23, 2007

Progress?

It's been two and a half days since my injury. It still hurts, but I think (hope?) it's getting better. My ankle is still swollen, but perhaps a tiny bit better. The bruising is definitely more impressive, but that's to be expected.


the outside


the inside

Any thoughts I had of running this weekend disappeared pretty early. I'm still not sure how long I'll have to wait, but the most common sense advice I've gotten is to wait until there's no pain with walking. Realistically that's going to take a few more days.

In the meantime, the marathon is 13 days away. My weight is going up, and my fitness is going down. It's upsetting, but there's not much more I can do at this point. I'll just have to see how it goes.

(And to answer other people's questions, I don't have a gym membership currently. Even if I did, I wouldn't be able to use the bike or the elliptical. The problem is not with impact on my foot, it's with flexing and extending the ankle joint. Both of the above activities would probably hurt as much as running.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Rae said...

Glad to hear you are better (sort of). Thanks for all the pics, I'm sure that will help a lot of people searching around for sprain pics. The bruising is crazy, I never knew you bruised with sprains.

Hope you're back in top form before the 'thon.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Ow still.

Ok, I have a plan. Handweights. You need to keep up your cardio fitness and I think you can do it all with upper body work. Sit ups, and arm workouts. Chin ups! All fast enough with short breaks so your heartrate stays elevated. No stress on the ankles and you keep your fitness up.

I'm telling ya, Danny, this can work.

Hope that ankle heals up fast!

Tuesday, April 24, 2007  
Blogger Darrell said...

Quite the impressive bruise. I hear sprains can take quite a while to heal. I wouldn't push it.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've been following your blog for a little while and all I can say is get better soon.

I found this article as I subscribe to this newsletter and have always found it helpful as I used to have a serious knee injury and subsequent problem... maybe it will help?

Thursday, April 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yikes. i hope it feels better soon. i've definitely done that before, and i know what you mean about writhing on the ground in pain. just keep stretching it as much as possible and keep the ace bandage on it. i hope it's okay for the marathon. you won't lose your conditioning; you just have to keep your confidence and you'll be just fine!

Friday, April 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats always one of my fears, spraining my ankle. I hope you get better soon.

Monday, May 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home