Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Falling behind in blogging

I've gotten behind, and the more behind I get, the harder it is to write the big blog post.Let me try to catch up here.

I last wrote at the end of week 1. Here's how week 2 went.

Speed. Scheduled for 4 x 800 @ 3:31. (I still think I should be a little faster, but the 5K race was canceled, and I don't feel like doing my own 5K just to check my speed.) Here's how I did:
3:21
3:17
3:21
3:19
I don't remember how it felt, so I'll leave it at that.

Tempo. The schedule called for 7 miles, with 5 @ 8:45.

The last few miles were tough.

Long run. The schedule called for 15 miles @ 9:30. I was at a hotel for the weekend, and was scheduled to meet people for breakfast at about 10. It was also really hot and humid, so I wanted to get the run in early. I ended up starting at 6:30 - and it was already too hot.


Average pace: 9:27.

I'm used to running out of the city boundaries on my long runs, but this was the first time I ran out of the state boundaries!


I'm also not used to seeing deer on the road in NYC. These guys were just hanging out in front of someone's home. They bolted as I got close.


Week 3:

Speed. Reverse ladder (I think that's what it's called) on the schedule. 1200, 1000, 800, 600, 400, 200. I'll give you the expected, and then the results.
1200 5:23 5:28 (a touch slow)
1000 4:26 4:15 (back to my usual fast results)
800 3:31 3:21 (on track)
600 2:37 2:25 (still on track)
400 1:43 1:35 (doing well)
200 0:49 0:44 (I was happy with this workout)

As an aside, this run closed out my July running. I reached 111.2 miles for the month, which is by far the most I've ever run. To be fair, I ran on the 1st and the 31st, and there were 5 Sunday's, but still the number was pretty cool. It also pushed me over 500 miles for the year.

Following this run, I went off to Wasaga Beach in Canada for some vacation. I wasn't playing tennis there, so I squeezed in an extra run on Thursday. 4 easy miles.

Friday was Tempo. Similar to the previous week, but the 5 miles were supposed to be run faster, at an 8:21 pace.


These were tough, but I was really running fast.

Long run. The schedule called for 17 miles at a 9:30 pace. I again woke up early to get the run in before the heat. (It was tough, since I had just barely gone to sleep.) I ran near the beach, but not on it. A pretty cool run.

Average pace: 10:04. Hard to believe - it seemed faster. Looking at my splits it seems I started really slow, but settled into an okay rhythm later.


I did a speed workout today, but I'll leave it for the week's recap later. I'm actually wondering how I'm going to get it all done. I'm scheduled to run 20 miles this weekend, but I'm on call Friday and Saturday, and have a wedding on Sunday. It's going to be tough, if not impossible.


Ok, that's it for now. You're pretty much up to date.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home