Monday, October 20, 2008

Four months

I don't know if this happens to everyone, but it happens to me. Every now and then I feel like I haven't spoken to an old friend of mine for a while. I'm tempted to call right then, but since we haven't spoken to each other in a while, I'm anticipating a longer and more involved conversation. And since I may not have time at that moment, I plan to call later. Of course I never do, and then the amount of time since we've spoken (and therefore the time necessary for a conversation) grows....

Do you see what I'm getting at?

I've been meaning to post a "catch up post" for the longest time. I can't believe it's been 4 months. It's embarrassing. So what's happened in 4 months? (Besides for the Dow losing over 3000 points.) Well...

There have been a few changes. Professionally, I've got a new job. It's a better job, but it comes with more responsibility, and takes more of my free time. Socially, I'm busier too. :-) It's a good thing, but it takes a lot of time I might otherwise be blogging. Not to make excuses... well actually, yes - those are my excuses. Take 'em or leave 'em.

In the beginning I kept up with the running, but over the last few months it's tapered down. Not to nothing, but to less than I should be at.

So after the marathon last year I settled into some 50 mile months for the winter. Then I brought it back up again as the weather got better, but you can see how I've come back down again. In September I ran 40 miles, and October isn't looking very good at all. (And that's including 12.75 miles this past weekend.)

I'd like to say that part of this has to do with the Jewish holiday season, but somehow I've managed to keep up my training in previous years when I was training for a marathon.

Oh, the marathon? Yeah, that's not happening. Actually, I have another wedding to go to on that day. When the wedding date became clear I was still planning on running New York this year. Then I started thinking about perhaps running Philly, and got invited to another wedding that weekend. (It doesn't stop there - I've actually got 3 weddings to go to in November!) I don't blame all the happy couples, but once I didn't have a set schedule, my training went to pot.

I actually just got my number in the mail. (Kind of depressing.) My first year I was 33474. Last year I was 25872. I had hoped for 4 digits this year, but I was going to have to settle for 18465. Not sure how my canceling will affect this, but I think it will still be a while before I end up with less than 5 digits.

Back on the Jewish Holiday schedule, two more days remain: from tonight until Wednesday night. Thursday morning, I weigh myself and begin my diet and exercise plan. I'm not sure of what it will be, but it will be something like "15 pounds in 15 weeks". (It might be "20 in 20" - depending on how cruel the scale is on Thursday.)

Finally, I just want to give a shout out to the few people who reached out to me in the four months of "radio silence". I've really come to think of many of you as friends, and not having the accountability to you guys has allowed my training to slip. And so to those people who refused to let me get away with it: Thank you!

(As for everyone else, I hope they find their way back to this blog. I've always enjoyed the sense of camaraderie here, and I hope I can get it back.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Jank said...

Welcome back, Danny. We missed you at New Haven this year.

Monday, October 20, 2008  
Blogger David H. said...

I remember after high school and college how friends always said they'd stay in touch ... then next thing you know a year has passed, then 5, then 10. So a few months of not posting isn't a big deal at all. Consider yourself a good friend in the blogging world. You were honest about why you didn't blog, and there's nothing wrong with life getting in the way. Your readers will come back, I'm sure of it!

Monday, October 20, 2008  
Blogger brent said...

i've been wondering where you been at man! sounds like you've been busy...keep posting anyway to keep us in the loop eh?

Monday, October 20, 2008  
Blogger Darrell said...

I too have been thinking of you. I kept seeing your name way down there at the end of my blog list and thought I should send a note but you already know how that goes. Glad to hear you are still alive and well. Congrats on the new position.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home