Sunday, October 26, 2008

Poland Spring 5M


I've been running the 6 mile loop in the park with my gf the a while now. Over the last few months she's consistently been finishing a few minutes ahead of me. Since I used to be faster, I've found this depressing. Not that she's beating me, but that I've gotten slower. (This is definitely part of the reason for the diet.)

She, on the other hand, is loving the fact that she beats me. And so as the time for today's 5M race came closer she was doing some trash talking about how she was going to beat me. What could I say? I thought the same thing.

Like usual, we were there last second. And so although the races now have corrals separated by speeds, we were forced to start with slower people, leading to the old crush of people I'm used to. We were separated pretty quickly, and within minutes I could see that she was about 15 seconds ahead of me. Just after the 1 mile mark I lost site of her and assumed that she was pushing on way ahead.

And then, as I crossed the 2 mile marker I saw her on the other side of the road. A part of me was thinking that I should slip by her and not let her know, but then I decided to try and make it more fun. I called out to her and pushed ahead.

That was the last I saw of her, but I was never really sure where she was. I wasn't too concerned, as I was pushing as hard as I could anyway. I felt really good for the next few miles, until about the end of the 4th mile, when it started to get rough. I could sense that I was slowing, but I was trying my best to hold on. I think I saved just enough to put on a final burst before the end.

My final time was 40:10. Well off my PR from last year of 39:00, but better than I expected. And sadly for the gf, better than her. There's always next time....


I was pretty happy with my splits as well:
8:43 in the crowd
8:03 that's better
7:58 feeling good
7:42 how 'bout those negative splits?
7:44 worse than it looks, as it includes a burst at the end

So negative splits most of the way. I was happy enough. For now.

We met a few of our friends there and took some pictures afterward. Unfortunately, we all had busy days, and went our own way afterward.


One funny thing that happened is that during the 4th mile a friend tapped me on my shoulder. He said "whoa, what did you eat over the holidays?" I was feeling pretty good then, so for a moment I thought he was complimenting me - inquiring about what special fuel I had eaten. And then I realized he was talking about my physique. :-( To be fair, I think it was the stretchy shirt that I was wearing for the weather. But just to return the favor, I'm posting this picture of us comparing the babies, I mean bellies.


Don't worry though, the diet has just begun...

3 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

Who, but a friend, could ask such a thing?

Congrats on the negative splits.

Monday, October 27, 2008  
Blogger Rae said...

That's not a bad time at all, and really not THAT far off last year!!!!

The gf is so cute!!!

Love the "pregnant" shot. I wish you much luck with your food baby! =)

Wednesday, October 29, 2008  
Blogger Cris said...

Well, you may be slowing these days, but this race sure sounded fast. Faster than me, anyways. :) Keep up the good work, Dan.

Monday, November 03, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home