Sunday, November 16, 2008

Run for Harold 2008

Last year, after the marathon, I was in great shape. I wasn't sure I was ready to race two weeks later, but it turned out I was. I had the best race ever, putting in 7:03 miles over 4 miles. Since that time the NYRR have instituted corrals for their races, and depending on your best historical time, you get put into a specific corral. It's because of last year's race that I continue to get put into one of the first corrals, even now that I don't really belong there anymore.


There were about 6,000 people at the race today, and there I was with #163. Ha! I actually got a lot of comments about it, but I started way in the back.

I've really been sick all week, and haven't run since last Sunday (and I was sick then too). I'd already signed up, and the rain had stopped, so I thought it would be good to at least run this as an easy run. Plus, it was the "Run for Harold" (see last year's post) and so I wanted to go for that as well.

So as I said, I started way in the back. And for today, that meant WAY in the back. The race was packed. I don't think the pictures give it justice, but it was more packed than I've ever seen it here.



It took about 7 minutes to get to the start. (People may have been distracted by Star Jones.) I took it slow, as I knew I wasn't feeling perfect. Over the course of the race, I kind of got caught up in the "race" aspect, though I never pushed as hard as I have in the past. I was running near one of the RFH guys for much of the race, and I had hoped to pass him in the last mile. Unfortunately (for me) he ran a great last mile, and I didn't have enough to keep up with him.


(This is actually before the race, but I think he already knew he'd beat me!)

I finished exactly 6 minutes slower than last year. But nonetheless, I was happy with some negative split action:
9:03
8:50
8:40
8:03

Plus, I was pretty sure I beat this guy:



Like last year, we gathered for a group shot. (Thankfully, not as freezing as last year.) Quite the crowd, which is really great. It's a great idea, and I was happy to see a big turnout.


After the race, the Running Skirt invited me back to her place, where her husband made us some post-race pancakes. I'm pretty sure I ate more calories than I burned - but they were worth it.



(And yes, I do love taking pictures of him in the kitchen!)

And tonight you ask? Another wedding....

5 Comments:

Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

I'm impressed that you ran even though you've been sick all week. Those pancakes look great.

Sunday, November 16, 2008  
Blogger Darrell said...

It great that you were able to get out there and run even feeling less than yourself.

I for one am not at all suprised that the good Dr. is attending another wedding.

Sunday, November 16, 2008  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Serious, serious pancakes! Wishing I had pancakes.

Good to see you at the races, Danny. I had no idea you had run that fast last year. Damn. Was that the Run Fast, Run Less training? I got that book from the library and never read it. Now I'm wishing I had.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008  
Blogger Jank said...

I love watching other people struggle and run through life. Good race experience.

Hope the wedding had good eats.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008  
Blogger Rae said...

Good grief, do you own a tux or what??? One day you are going to have to pay back a LOT of people!

Was Star Jones "running"?

Thursday, November 20, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home