Sunday, June 07, 2009

6 + 2.5 + 1.5 = 10 ?



Tough run today. Wanted to wake up early to run and be back for French Open. Instead I woke up at a normal time, watched tennis, and then went for my run. Bad idea. (Though I did enjoy seeing Federer get the trophy!)

It was really hot out there. I think it was 81, but "feels like 89". I managed to keep running for the first 6 but had to take a break then. My heart rate had gone as high as 180 - which I've never seen before. Considering that my resting heart rate last week was 54, that's quite a jump!



I took a long break - like 5 minutes. Including sitting, drinking, and catching my breath. I started out again slower, but didn't have it in me to run the whole 4 miles I had left. Maybe I should have eaten first, but more likely it was the heat. I was really struggling.

I stopped again for a long break at 8.5 miles. I'd wanted to stop earlier, but wanted to have as little left as possible for my last push. Even then, I could barely finish the 1.5 miles. I really slowed down, and started breathing slower to settle myself, and was able to finish.



Anyway, I'm glad I did the ten miles. With the two long breaks I don't think it's the same as running 10 miles straight. But it was a good workout, and I'm sure I gained from those last 4 miles. It certainly took a lot out of me. I was wiped the rest of the day. And even after a nap, my heart rate was still 74. (It's 66 now -10 hours later.)

Strangely, I didn't feel the need to eat a lot afterward. I ate a normal dinner tonight, and though I'm a little hungry now, I look forward to weighing myself tomorrow morning. (I'll deal with my weight in another post.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

10 miles is 10 miles, a few breaks along the way dont' change that. Good job.

Monday, June 08, 2009  
Blogger Jank said...

The first couple of really hot runs suck. 10 is 10

Tuesday, June 09, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home