Monday, January 05, 2009

2008 Wrap Up - 2009 Kick Off

I never did get that last run in because the weather on New Year's Eve sucked. Nonetheless, I had a very productive December, running 12 times for 63 miles. Maybe a little too much, since my right knee has started to bother me a little. But I never really felt like I was pushing too hard, so we'll have to see on that.

Total numbers for the year:
Runs: 101
Miles: 652

In comparison, I'll provide the previous two years.
2007 Runs: 136
2007 Miles: 1005
2006 Runs: 91
2006 Miles: 423

And so, I've slipped, but I'm not totally off the wagon. I'm definitely still ahead of where I used to be.

By the way, I love that I have all this information saved. I guess people kept running logs before the computer was around, but you couldn't get nice graphs like this:

You can see how 2006 started pretty slow. (It took me a while to recover from that first marathon.) Than at the end of the year I started training for a spring marathon. Dipped down in mid 2007 because of an ankle injury, and then back up towards the end as I trained for marathon number 2. I was able to keep up some okay numbers through the first half of the year, but then let it slip away towards the second half. Except for December, which is supposed to begin my upswing.)

There's 3 years of blogging in one paragraph!!

And so here we are at 2009. Well, it didn't start great. I did go for a treadmill run on New Year's Day. But since then, I've gotten pretty sick. It's "just a cold" but I've had fever, and total body aches. And now after all this coughing, my core muscles are killing me. I'm in no shape to run for a little while.

(Strangely, I continue to feel my right knee bothering me. Feels exactly the same as when I noticed it last week - even though I haven't run in 4 days. It's going to be a few more days off, so we'll see what happens to it with a little more rest.)

As for my 2009 goals, I guess I should come up with some. I think not having goals last year, really hurt me. I'll lay some out here - even though I might be behind the eight ball on some.

1) Get back to 1000 miles on the year.

2) Run a sub 7 min mile 5K. That's only 5 seconds off my PR - but that was a really fast race for me. This one might be tough because the local 5K's are in the beginning of the year. Later in the year are more 4M's. I might have to sub-7 one of those!

3) Run the NYC marathon. 3rd and probably final time, before moving on to others. (Or maybe just half's. Still undecided about that.)

4) Get back in shape. I need to lose about 13 pounds. I've lowered my expectations a little here, but that would have me weighing what I did at my last marathon. I've set my birthday in May for this goal.

But first, I'd just like to stop coughing....

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a good plan ahead of you in '09. Looking forward to your continued blogging!

Monday, January 05, 2009  
Blogger Jank said...

I'll be there in Staten Island. Any thoughts to New Haven again?

Monday, January 05, 2009  
Blogger Darrell said...

Not a bad 2008, especially for some one who hasnt' run in 11 years (Check the dates in your post, lol).

Good luck with your 2009 goals and that cough.

Wednesday, January 07, 2009  
Blogger Danny said...

Must have been the cough medicine... I fixed the dates, thanks!

Wednesday, January 07, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How's the training coming along in '09?

Saturday, January 24, 2009  
Blogger Dmitriy said...

Hey there, Dr. Farkas. How's it going? Did not see you at the Manhattan Half today. And I guess i did not run into you at Kleinerman in Dec. What's the next race you are doing?

Dmitriy K.

Sunday, January 25, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home