Monday, January 26, 2009

Trying to Climb Back on the Wagon

I totally fell of the wagon. After such a good December, I've run 4 times in the last 4 weeks. :-(


What actually happened is that I got sick right in the beginning of January. Just a cold, but the worst one I've had in probably 10 years. I was bedridden for a few days. Even as I felt better, my core muscles were so painful from coughing, that running was not an option.

I finally got myself out on the treadmill on the 11h. The next few days I didn't have access to a treadmill, and it was just way too cold here. I know you guys in Minnesota thing 13 degrees is warm, but I just couldn't do it. (Maybe if I was training for something.) I was away over the last weekend with little free time, and I'm trying to get back into it this past week. But I'm out of shape. And it's still too cold for long runs outside.

Interestingly, I haven't gained weight. It's possible that being sick contributed to that, but I didn't really lose weight that week. I just don't get it. In a way, it's kind of depressing that not running had no effect on my weight. It makes it a little harder to get out there to run. I think my eating habits have more to do with my weight than running. At least at this point in time.

Anyway, I appreciate the people who commented and asked me what I've been up to in 2009. As you can see, it hasn't been great. But I like that you guys out there keep me honest, and will help me get back on track.

(Also, to respond to comments again: Obviously I didn't run the Manhattan Half. I'm thinking about Bronx, but I haven't run 13 miles in, oh... 5 months. Not sure of the point of just slogging through 13 miles - except maybe to force myself to put in a lot of miles. I'll think about it over the next week.)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see an update! Here's to good health and some good upcoming runs. Here's also to hoping that spring will be here soon@

Monday, January 26, 2009  
Blogger Darrell said...

January was a tough month for a few of us for a variety of reason. Run when you can. How about a goal race a little further out there in the future? Something to work towards.

Sunday, February 01, 2009  
Blogger Jank said...

The cold really killed me the last week in January. No worries, though - there's a long haul left until it's sweltering in August...

Tuesday, February 03, 2009  
Blogger Cris said...

We all have winter downtimes.

I bet if you did the Bronx Half this Sunday, you'd still beat me. :)

Thursday, February 05, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home