Monday, July 13, 2009

Marathon Training Begins?

I finished off June relatively strong with a 3 run week. Then the monsoons hit. Non-stop rain around here, and I didn't run much. By July 4th weekend it got a little nicer. But by then I was too busy relaxing, watching tennis, going to weddings, etc.. Either way, I picked it back up this past week with 24 miles.

That included a 10 miler yesterday with a few breaks. I could barely make it through the first mile. I wanted to stop and rest after about 3 minutes. Knowing that I had 10 miles in store, I pushed through to the 2.5 mile mark before resting on a convenient bench. It got a little better after this, but I took walk breaks around 5.5 miles and about 8 miles.

This is the week I'm supposed to begin my training program for the marathon in November. It's clear that I'm in no shape to do the FIRST program I did last time. I'm considering the run-walk method. Not too excited about it, but it may be my only option.

This actually makes it a little hard to train. My first marathon, the goal was to just run a marathon. The second one, the goal was to run it fast and beat my time. This time around, I have no chance of setting a PR. And so what's the big deal to just drag myself through another one. I'd like to say it will get me back into shape, but I'm not so sure about that. My eating seems to go up in relationship to my running. That is, to lose weight I need to stop eating, regardless of my running. Sigh...

Anyway, I haven't given up yet. Perhaps if I do stop eating, my weight will come down, and the running will get easier. If I can run a marathon without feeling as crappy as I did the first time, I think I'll be pretty happy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, try the run-walk-run method (see www.jeffgalloway.com). Since I started using it my training and racing times have dropped considerably and I enjoy it more. It's just another running technique.

Monday, July 13, 2009  
Blogger Cris said...

May I suggest that you do slow down, do the run-walk method, and make the goal this time to ENJOY the marathon. If you are well trained enough, you'll get through the twenty-six-point-two having enjoyed the event for what it is and finishing no more shagged out than a half-marathon.

Controlling your diet takes as much discipline as sticking to a training plan, so I know you can do it. I'll let you borrow my diabetes, if you think it will help. :)

Monday, July 13, 2009  
Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

I had thought that my fall marathon goal would be to set a pr though my injuries lately have me rethinking my goal.

I agree with Cris. Enjoying the experience is a worthy goal.

Monday, July 13, 2009  
Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

Much to my disgust my weight is tied to my eating and not my running as well.

And the more I run the more I want to eat!

Monday, September 28, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home