Friday, December 23, 2005

More gym stuff

Although I missed yesterday, I did go to the gym Wednesday and today. Wednesday I biked another 20 minutes. Although I changed the settings slightly, at 10 minutes I was exactly at 3.6 miles. This was exactly on target to reach 7.2 miles in 20 minutes, which I had accomplished my last time on the bike. Over the next 10 minutes I realized that no matter how much faster or slower I went I still stayed at exactly the same pace. Hmmm... Obviously, the distance was being calculated (not measured), and was totally inaccurate. I guess I wasn't shocked, since I had been surprised how far I'd previously cycled after so few times on a bike. In any case, I still can't get beyond looking at the numbers, and so I pushed on a little after 20 minutes, to make it an even 8 miles. My little pain issues are somewhat better, but I still have the urge every now and then to stand up out of the saddle - which doesn't really work on these bikes. I saw one of those gel cushions in the store, which you can put on top of the bike's seat in the gym. Anybody have any thoughts on them? (There were bunch of different types!)

Today was a pool day. I can't go to the gym just to swim, since I can't swim long enough to make my trip worthwhile. So I'm always doing something beforehand, like today where I was on the treadmill. I only ran 20 minutes, but I used the hill setting on the machine. I couldn't help but think that this was only pseudo-hill training. (Hey baby, are those hills real?) Anyway, it was short, but a decent workout. I think I'll use higher settings next time.

After that I hit the pool. Maybe I'm using up some of my energy before my swimming, but it's not like I'm out of breath when I start. Two laps later though, and I need a break. I pushed myself, and with a lot of breaks, I finished up with 10 laps, or 250 yards. There was a lady there who was at least twice my age, and at least twice my size, who looks like she could have gone all day. One easy lap after the other. She wasn't fast, but she just kept going. I tried a few laps concentrating on going slower, and it was a bit easier. The bottom line is that I really nead to work on my technique. I looked at some books in Barnes & Noble this week. One book which looks interesting is Total Immersion by Terry Laughlin. I didn't buy it in the end, because I wanted to do a little more research before I invest in learning a "new technique". Does anybody have any experience with the "TI method"?

For those of you who have made it to the end of the post, thanks. I know it's pretty tough. Since I'm not really training for anything (yet), it kind of makes my blogging boring. I ran this many miles, I biked this many miles, I swam this many miles, blah blah blah. If only the rest of my life was more interesting...

To be honest, I'm probably starting a new job in the new year, and my blogging time will definitely go down. So maybe it will all work out. But for now, I'll try and keep you entertained with things like this sign I saw on the street near the gym. (Click on the pictures to see the details enlarged.)

7 Comments:

Blogger brent said...

funny. there must have been quite a lot of dog poo to warrant that poster, ha ha.

Friday, December 23, 2005  
Blogger Nancy Toby said...

Funny sign!

Yeah, the TI method is pretty widely used - see their website at http://www.totalimmersion.net/ and you can glean a lot from there.

Friday, December 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i had some similar painage issues following my two spinning classes this week. at first i momentarily thought i had cancer (pain in the lymphnode area) but then it was on both sides and i realized it was in my "sit bones" from the bike. i think it goes away once you get more used to cycling. personally, i plan to just wait it out. my family is actually really into special bike seats though for their regular bikes so that might be good to check out. night!

Friday, December 23, 2005  
Blogger Rae said...

Treadmill, bike, swim, sounds like a tri in the making to me! Are you thinking about doing one? I wish we had somewhere to swim, I've been thinking about the new Y but we're planning to move in the spring so it seems a bit silly to join now.

Love the signs! Today there was an enormous pile right on the paved trail. WTH? There's loads of grass on both sides of the trail, take your dog to the grass!! I hate dumb dog owners, it makes it so much harder for the rest of us!

Happy Dec 24 & 25th!

Saturday, December 24, 2005  
Blogger Darrell said...

As I was reminded today, "The goal is to do something and keep moving" and you are doing an admirable job of that. Keep it up and keep blogging.

Saturday, December 24, 2005  
Blogger jeanne said...

I'm with Darrell! I'm not running right now ($#!@%# ITB) but biking and ellipticalling, and good god it's boring to do, nevermind writing about it. It's a comfort to know I'm not alone. You're doing great by the way! Now you just need to sign up for some kind of race!

Saturday, December 24, 2005  
Blogger Cris said...

In the middle of the transit strike, I changed the angle of my bike seat a little. Made a world of difference. All of a sudden, it didn't feel like I was being whacked between the legs with a 2x4. You might try that kind of adjustment first.

PS In case I dont get to a computer tomorrow... Happy Hannukah, my friend.

Sunday, December 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home