Wednesday, December 28, 2005

I can float

I started on the drills today from Total Immersion. Drill 1 basically has you floating on your back, just kicking. There's a few things there about positioning your head and body, and it seemed to help. I practiced this for about 20 minutes. I did a few laps of regular swimming before leaving; not too many since I was in the pool yesterday, and plan to go back tomorrow. Using some of the things I've picked up from the book so far, it seemed slightly easier. I did get short of breath after 4 laps, but I wasn't struggling while swimming. I did 2 sets of 2 laps (50 yards) each, and I seemed more in control than before. On to the second drill tomorrow.

I also ran on the treadmill today before swimming. I was planning on running 2 miles, but I wasn't feeling so perrfect so I ran 3 miles, pretty fast. Huh? Well I figured that if I wanted to get in 4 or 5 this weekend, and I was starting to feel my shins now, I should probably skip running until Sunday. So I switched from 2 today and 2 Friday, to 3 today, and really tough. Probably not the smartest thing in the world, but I got a good workout and felt pretty good afterwards. My shins (or knee!) don't really bother me. My achilles tendons are a bit tight, but I'm trying to stretch them out. I've been neglecting to stretch them, mostly just because I forgot!

Another Chanukah (how do you spell Hanukkah anyway?) party tonight, this time in my local community. Not much of a party, but of course I did go crazy on the donuts. Absolutely no self control.


I have another party tomorrow, which should be pretty crowded. It's been a good one in past years, and I'm definitely going to that one. (I've already bought and wrapped my grab-bag gift!) Saturday night is a combined New Years and Chanukah party which is probably too big and crazy for me. I'm thinking of skipping. I've also got an evite for a Sunday night party, with 600 people invited for this party in somebody's apartment. I'm not sure I'll go to that one either.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tammy said...

Total Immersion is great! I took a series from a friend of mine who is a coach for them. There is a lot of subtlety to the positioning, so if you get the chance, get a live lesson.

Thursday, December 29, 2005  
Blogger Rae said...

600 people in ONE apartment?? Sounds like a party to me! So, do you guys call it Dirty Hanukkah (vs our Dirty Christmas)?

All your swimming has me so jealous! I'd love to swim and the only place nearby is our brand new Y which is expensive and currently crowded. We're planning to move next year, too, so I'd hate to forfeit a bunch of fees. I guess I could just twirl around in our tub.....

Thursday, December 29, 2005  
Blogger ida said...

Danny,

Thanks for stopping by and saying hello. I've been a reader of your blog for many months.

Happy new year!

Friday, December 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home