Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Changes

When I first started blogging, I was in the midst of training for my first marathon. (Hence, the name.) My posts were about my training, and I tried to keep them interesting for the general public. I didn't really talk too much about the rest of my life, because heck, I was talking to strangers! My "real" friends didn't care or understand too much about my training, and it was nice to be able to discuss the ups and downs with someone, even if it was just random cyber-people.

I've now been doing this for over six months. (I can barely belive that myself!) Over that time, the blog seems to have changed. I find myself sharing more and more of my non-running life. In fact, as I commented on Rachel's blog, I often find myself thinking during the day that "I have to put that on my blog". Although I still have "real" friends, I find that I've developed relationships with and come to know so many people here. The times that I've met fellow bloggers in real life, I've felt like I already knew them. And so I feel the need to keep you guys updated with what's going on.

The thing is that I never really wanted to turn this into a diary. I'd still like to keep it a "running blog". I'd like visitors to be able to appreciate individual posts, without having to know the ongoing soap opera of the rest of my life. (BTW, this isn't the only blog this has happened to!)

So while I'll still keep you guys updated, I do want to make an effort to bring the training back to front and center. I liked it when I felt the pressure to work out, so I would be able to blog later. (As opposed to just blogging about my day, and then telling you on the last line that I never made it to the gym.) Part of that, I think, is going to take some commitment to more serious training. I feel I'm ready for that.

So without further ado, let me tell you about my time on the treadmill tonight. (But don't worry, I'll get to my first day at work afterwards!)

I was home pretty early today, but delaying big time in getting myself to the gym. I was just being lazy, and wanting to eat rather than exercise. But my good intentions prevailed, and I made it there. I had big plans for 5 miles on the treadmill tonight. The weather was actually not bad, and I could have run outside, but I thought the treadmill would be easier on my legs for this distance that I hadn't done in a while.

I've mentioned in the past that I usually keep increasing the speed as a method of battling the boredom. I really didn't want the pace to get too fast tonight. I still increased the speed, but very slowly. I was only at 6.5 mph by the end. My HR, for those that care, maxed out at 154. So not too strenuous.

I must say, I felt really good. Yeah, I felt my calves very slightly at about 1 mile, but that seemed to go away. And because I wasn't going too fast, I was pretty comfortable. I hadn't run 5 miles in forever, and I felt like I could have kept going for a few more pretty easily. The only downside was the boredom. 5 miles on a treadmill is so freaking boring. Actually, there was one more downside. When you're on a treadmill, and the guy next to you really stinks, no matter how fast you run he's still right next to you. That was kind of annoying.

So with this good run under my belt, I feel more confident that I'll be ready for the Broad Street Run with ShoreTurtle. I haven't figured out a set training plan, and I'm going to have to be careful, since I really haven't been running that much lately. I don't want to set off the shin splints again. But I feel good about getting more serious about training.

(Don't worry, I'm not giving up the bike and the pool yet. I'm still going to keep working on those.)

Ok, now for those of you who want to hear about my first day at work. It was really very anticlimactic. The biggest part of my day was spent cleaning out my office from the the previous 5 surgeons who've used the office. By the time I was done, the office looked pretty good, but empty. The frames will be ready next week, and I have to bring in books and some knick knacks for the shelves. I'll post more pictures when it's done.

The rest of the day was taken up with a meeting, visiting a second office, and arranging for computer passwords. I still need more passwords, and access to even more programs. I also have to get a locker for the OR. Those items are on tomorrow's agenda.

For now, here's some pictures:


I didn't capture it well, but there was a lot of junk in the office.


This shelf was behind screen doors, that probably haven't been opened in a long time!


My favorite find of the day. The attendings are supposed to evaluate the residents that rotate on the service each month. Here's one of my evaluations from 4 years ago, never filled out. (I blanked out the name of the guilty party here, but I'll be sure to show him this in the office!)


Nice, but empty office.


This wall will look better with $500 worth of frames.


One of the other places I'll be seeing patients.

7 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

Good luck with the new job. Way to stick with the treadmill. I'd have to agree about the boring part.

Thursday, March 02, 2006  
Blogger Nancy Toby said...

You know us stay-at-home Moms LOVE soap operas! ;-) But what we really want to hear about are the DATES!!!

Good luck in the new position!! Wanna get my old diplomas framed while you're at it? Uh, maybe I can hang my PhD in the bathroom or something. I'm not even sure where they are now.

Thursday, March 02, 2006  
Blogger a.maria said...

lol. my blog is slowly turning into a runners version of sex and the city..

strangely enough, i get the most comments when i talk about my adventures in dating. but like you said, there's always a link to running somehow!

congrats on the new office, and good job sticking with the tread running... man is it hard to get excited about that!

Thursday, March 02, 2006  
Blogger :) said...

You see patients in the parking lot??? :)

Thursday, March 02, 2006  
Blogger LeahC said...

Nice job on the treadmill. I recently ran 3 miles and I was bored out of my skull at like .5 miles. I agree though that playing with the speed helps....good luck with the job!

Thursday, March 02, 2006  
Blogger Rae said...

I've never been able to do more than 6 on a treadmill, it gets SO dull. Music and TV help.

I love the new digs!! Very nice! I used to work for Cardinal Health! Love the boxes in the corner....

Thursday, March 02, 2006  
Blogger tortaluga said...

you know the blogs that stick strictly to the training schedule never keep me coming back, so don't go getting too dedicated...

good luck with the new job

Friday, March 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home