Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mother's Day Indeed!

First of all, thanks for all the comments on my last post. As everyone kept telling me how fast that 6:38 mile was, I started to doubt myself. Using my previous race times, all the race converters I looked at had me running a much slower mile. So I started to think that maybe I screwed up with my watch, or maybe that mile course is more downhill than I thought, etc. I was thinking I'd have to do it again just to be sure. (And I was not looking forward to that.)

As an aside, I've been meaning to say this for a while. I wish everybody had an email address attached to their comments. I recognize people want to stay anonymous, but even a made up gmail address just for blogging would be good. It's nice to be able to respond to people's comments or questions.

Anyway, today was the Mother's Day Co-Ed 5k. I was looking forward to this one, as I was really planning on racing it. The weather was overcast and in the low 50's this morning. Perfect for racing. I also got there early for once, so I had no last second portapotty issues. Things were going well.

Although the crowd was relatively small (2514 finishers), the start area was tough to navigate since it was right next to a fence. There were two breaks in the fence, one by the 11 minute mile mark, and one by the 9 minute mile mark. I chose the front one, but as you can imagine it was pretty crowded there. When the horn sounded, it took me 66 seconds to get to the starting line.

The first part was really congested. I remember feeling annoyed, and thinking that I'd have to wait for the (less crowded) winter to set any PR's. But then after about a quarter of a mile, things started to open up. I found myself having room to run, with only a couple of areas where I had to slow down. I was breathing hard but it was under control. I crossed the first mile marker at 8:15.

I'm pretty sure that's the fastest first mile I've ever run. And I knew I had more in me. The race course had a turnaround at mile 1, so the next mile tracked back towards the starting line. I sped up a touch, but still left some in the tank. I had plenty of room to run here, which was really nice. I think I looked at my watch every 30 seconds, just willing the time (and therefore distance) to go by. I ran the second mile in 7:42.

I was now under that 8 min mile pace. Now this was exciting! I pushed it up just a little more, with plans to push through and finish hard at the end. That third mile really seemed to go on forever. I was breathing pretty hard, and my right shin was kind of throbbing. Towards the end, the sole of my left foot was bothering me as well. I was suffering, but at the same time I was excited because I realized I was pushing myself more than I've ever done in the past. I finished the third mile in around 7:33. (With the finish line in site, I tried to ramp it up slightly, and don't remember my exact split.)

That last tenth of a mile seemed really long to me. I tried to sprint it, but I knew I had beaten my PR anyway, and I was hurting. Some guy ahead of me really surged at the end, and maybe if he had done it earlier I would have tried to follow suit. But as it was, it was right at the end, and there was some traffic there as well.

I ended up crossing the finish line with a net time of 24:11, for a 7:48 pace. I smashed my 5 year old PR by 1:11. My shins were throbbing in the finish area, but I was pretty psyched to have crossed the 8 min/mile barrier.

The funny thing is that I know I can go faster. I definitely worked hard today, but I wasn't totally spent. I'm certain that with some dedicated speed training, and maybe getting in better shape, I can really get that time even lower. I think this might be it for 5K's this season, but I'm thinking about next season already!

(Actually, I'm scheduled to run another 5K on Wednesday. It's in the Wall Street area, and ShoreTurtle's supposed to come up for it. Maybe it's a little too early to say this, but I don't think I'll be shooting for another PR in three days.)

So anyway, I'm in a good mood. I hope everyone else is having a Happy Mother's Day as well!

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wahooo!! That's so cool you destroyed your 5 year-old PR!!! and i mean destroyed. So COOL. it sounds like you really gutted it out too. congrats!

Sunday, May 14, 2006  
Blogger Cris said...

"Smash"ing job, old man! I can only imagine how it must feel to put a 5-year-old time to bed.

I might do the Wall Street run, I think I could set a PR right now. But...

are you coming out for Healthy Kidney 10K? That race is why the Mother's Day race was so small... everybody's saving themselves up.

Sunday, May 14, 2006  
Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

Congratulations on the PR Danny! That's exciting...

Sunday, May 14, 2006  
Blogger Nancy Toby said...

LOL! I think your perspective is a little skewed. "Small" races have like 60 or 70 entrants.

That's some great running you're doing!!

Sunday, May 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i KNEW it! you rock!

Sunday, May 14, 2006  
Blogger Morrissey said...

congrats on your new PR! A job well done! Thank goodness it didnt rain!

Sunday, May 14, 2006  
Blogger LeahC said...

danny-

awesome job on smashing the 5yr PR! it's such a great feeling during a race to go, "that was fast, but I know I can go way faster!" excellently done!

Sunday, May 14, 2006  
Blogger jeanne said...

Way to kill it! Isn't it a great feeling to stomp on (how many metaphors can I use?) a PR like that? And to think you have more in you! You're my hero! Good luck this week. Who knows what could happen? And ICE THOSE SHINS! :)

(oh, p.s. I totally agree with you about the e-mails. One person I said this to had no idea what I meant, so I think many people just don't know how to log in with one. Maybe a whole separate blog entry!)

Sunday, May 14, 2006  
Blogger Jack said...

Congratulations on really damaging your old PR! I wish you a speedy recovery.

Monday, May 15, 2006  
Blogger Darrell said...

All right Danny! Congrats on the new PR, that is so awesome.

I love your "small" race with over 2000 runners. That's big in my book.

Monday, May 15, 2006  
Blogger Rae said...

Awesome job on the new PR!!! That's a great time. Wall Street 5K sounds like fun, you should run it in a suit!

Monday, May 15, 2006  
Blogger Bridges Runner said...

Fabulous! Nice job smashing that PR:) I have a feeling it's a sign of things to come...

Congrats!

Monday, May 15, 2006  
Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

AWESOME Job!!!! It's a great feeling to beat a PR! It always makes me feel like all the miles and sweat I have put in really are making a difference.

Congratulations!!!!

Monday, May 15, 2006  
Blogger Scott in Washington said...

Hey Danny,

Just stopped by to see how you are doing. Glad to find you still running strong.

SD

Monday, May 15, 2006  
Blogger Kim said...

Congrats on your PR Danny!
That's awesome. Sounds like a big race to me. My biggest race was only 2958. :)
Great job!

Monday, May 15, 2006  
Blogger Michele said...

Great job on your race! Congrats on your new PR!
Keep up the good work!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006  
Blogger E-Speed said...

Awesome you totally made your goal! That has got to feel good!

Wednesday, May 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home