Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Wall Street Run



Today was the Wall Street Run. It was a 5K down in the financial district, which was pretty cool. The only trouble was getting there on time. I had a really tough time getting out of work, but fortunately the subways ran really well for me and I got there with time to spare. A friend of mine came down to cheer, and we met ShoreTurtle downtown.


There seemed to be about a million runners roaming around. The final count was 4433, but that didn't include the walkers. (It was a run/walk.) There was probably close to 8 or 9 thousand people participating. There were also a lot of corporate teams, which was also cool, since they all had on matching team t-shirts.


The race was cool because of its location, but not really good for racing. It was way too crowded, and very difficult to navigate. There were also a lot of turns. I hadn't planned to run too fast, but I did pick up speed as the race went on. I wasn't really worried about my time, but it felt good.

One annoying thing was that the course was short. ShoreTurtle mapped it out on Gmaps beforehand, so I know it was supposed to be a full 5K. There was this one part of the course where everyone cut through the courtyard of some building. Nobody ran on the road. I'm wondering if that was part of the problem.

Here's the race mapped out beforehand.


Here's what my Garmin came up with. (Obviously it doesn't work so well surrounded by skyscrapers!)


ShoreTurtle's footpod came up with around 3.0 miles. In any case, these were my splits:

Mile 1 - 9:05. Given the crowd, that seemed faster than expected.
Mile 2 - 6:50. Yeah, right. I knew it was short, but I figured mile 3 would compensate.
Mile 3 - 7:37. So much for compensating.

Net time - 24:13.
Net pace - 7:48.

I'm glad I didn't break my PR with this short course. I would have had to mark up my race history records with all sorts of asterisks.

The baggage area was right on the river, and I snapped a great picture of this (almost) sunset after the race.


Afterwards, we went out to dinner. I don't have the greatest sense of direction, but we eventually made it there. I more than made up for any calories burnt with that dinner. Check out the "homemade onion rings".


When I came home, there was an email saying the pictures from the Mother's Day's Race was ready. I was looking forward to those, because there was a spot where I was totally in the clear, and I saw the guy take a good picture. It didn't show up, so I'm guessing my number was obscured. When I have time, I'll look through the "lost and found". In the meantime, here's the official "finisher's photograph".


By the way, these last two races were my last two as an M32.

As of tomorrow, I'll be an M33.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Danny,

It sounded like you had a pretty good time on that run. The sunset picture was quite nice. Today I ept on wishing I had a camera as I saw so many good shots. I like to think that my brain captures it better then a camera, but at least when you take pictures you can share the wonders of the world with others. Today I was having a hard day and finally got the motivation to get out for my run/walk. My mood lifted after I ran.(Davening Mincha helped also) Its amazing. What is a M33? I guess I am not really into these running boards. I hope at some point you will get to run in Yerushalyim and take and post some photos of the beautiful city. Wow its Thursday night again. The weeks are going by and Its almost Shabbos. Did you celebrate Lag Bomer at all? I saw a post somewere tonight about making a bracha after excersizing. It was quite interesting. I like the persons Idea to say Shechiyanu but do not think that is within Halacha. Hatzlocha BBJ (my email is an artifact from a weightloss site.)

Thursday, May 18, 2006  
Blogger brent said...

happy bday dude.

nice race, that would have been cool to participate in.

i must admit, those onion rings look really really good! i've never seen any like that before.

Thursday, May 18, 2006  
Blogger Remco said...

Happy Birthday Danny!
Have a great day

Thursday, May 18, 2006  
Blogger LeahC said...

happy b-day! that run looks like it would have been fun even if it was short.

Thursday, May 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy M33!!!!! by the looks of you i totally thought you were an M20 something. whoops! i should have known though by how many years of school you must have been through!! enjoy!!!

Thursday, May 18, 2006  
Blogger Simba's Mom said...

Happy Birthday! Glad you had a good time and got to meet up with ST. I think you have seen him more in the last six months than I have!

Thursday, May 18, 2006  
Blogger E-Speed said...

Happy Birthday!

Good job on both 5Ks!

Thursday, May 18, 2006  
Blogger Bridges Runner said...

First, Happy Birthday:-) Have a great day!

Second, it's funny that you say the 5k was short. Apparently this race is notorious for the course being short. Oh well. Regardless, that's an excellent time for a crowded and zig zag course like that!

Thursday, May 18, 2006  
Blogger Rae said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to M33!

Glad you had such a good race!! Your races are always so big, I bet you would go wild at a small race. Those onion rings are TO DIE FOR! Yum!!!

Love the pics!! It looks like you guys had a nice evening for it.

Thursday, May 18, 2006  
Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

Happy Birthday Danny. The race was crazy crowded! Dinner was good. I had doubts that we would actually find the place. It was great to meet F and to hang out.

Thursday, May 18, 2006  
Blogger nyflygirl said...

Happy M33Day™!! :)

Nice job yesterday-yeah, I too knew that this race is notorious for being mismeasured (sometimes long, sometimes short.) I was looking at the times from yesterday and so many of my teammates "PRed" (though one or 2 commented that they were a little suspicious that the course was short.) Though apparently when I ran it 2 years ago it was measured correctly, I was still put off with what bad shape the downtown streets were in. The end is really nice with the sunset above the river though.

Thursday, May 18, 2006  
Blogger Kim said...

Happy Birthday to you.
Happy Birthday to you.
Happy Birthday dear Danny.
Happy Birthday to you.

Thursday, May 18, 2006  
Blogger Nancy Toby said...

Happy birthday Danny!!!

Thursday, May 18, 2006  
Blogger Michele said...

Happy Birthday!
Great job in the run sounds like a great time was had and those onion rings look wonderful!

Thursday, May 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Danny!
As the friend who went to cheer you on, it was cool to see so many people out on a Wednesday running in the middle of Wall street!
Maybe next time I'll even join you instead of watching (yeah right:)
It was also fun meeting your 'blogger friend'.
cant wait to see your third finished bib collage after your next race!

Thursday, May 18, 2006  
Blogger Darrell said...

Danny, Happy Birthday!
(sorry I'm late)

Sunday, May 21, 2006  
Blogger jeanne said...

happy birthday!! and so cool about ringing the bell at the stock exchange --HA!!!!

Monday, May 22, 2006  
Blogger a.maria said...

heyyyyy, well done and congrats! and happy (belated) birthday. i've been such a blogging slacker...

hope you had a fantastic birthday celebration!

Tuesday, May 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home