Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I'm still here

I finally got back out there again on Sunday. 4 miles, with a brief stretching break halfway through.

I followed that up with two sets of tennis. After being down 4-0 in the first set, I came back for a tremendous 7-6, 6-2 win. The problem with tennis is that your play affects the length of the game. In that first set I was pretty tired and upset with myself. A couple of times I found myself actually getting mad when my partner didn't finish me off. Although I won the set in the end, at the time it felt like I was just prolonging the agony.

Another thing about tennis is that whenever I do something wrong, I feel like it's a character flaw in my personality. Double faulted on the serve? It's because I'm being too lazy to stretch up high enough. Didn't win the game I was winning 40-0? It's because I don't have the focus to finish the job. It's partly true, and partly ridiculous. However, when I was losing 5 of the first 6 games I was really getting annoyed. I was thinking how running is so pure and simple, without all these aggrevating mind games. (Usually.)

In any case, I'm still having difficulty finding the time to post. It's not all work, but my life feels petty busy. Right after tennis on Sunday, I showered and headed over to a small reception for a friend who finally got engaged to the girl he's been dating for years. Yesterday, one of the residents had her car towed from the hospital. I drove her to the pound after work to pick up her car, and we then went to dinner with another member of our surgical team. It was actually quite nice.

When I got home, I ended up seeing a friend of mine at my house for a medical "emergency". I'd tell you what happened, but I have to keep some of my "criminal activity" ambiguous. In either case he (and his wife) left my place after 1 in the morning. I finally got to sleep around 2, and by 3:30 I was awakened by my beeper. I was on call, and a patient needed emergency surgery. It took an hour and a half to get the patient ready for surgery, and by that time there were a few more emergencies waiting. Yikes.

So now I'm finally home. I took a quick nap at the hospital prior to leaving. It's not late, but I'm exhausted. And I've got a busy day tomorrow.

(I thought this would explain why my post was so short - but somehow that seemed to take a long time. Well at least you know why there's no pictures!)


Blogger LeahC said...

i know all about the little sleep and busy with work, although not nearly as busy as you. nice job getting out there for the 4 miles. Jason played tennis in high school and we keep saying we are going to play, but last time I played tennis I was bout 8 and I think I threw the racket at my dad's head because I couldn't hit the ball....I'll stick to racquetball for now :-)

Tuesday, August 15, 2006  
Blogger Brooklyn said...

good to see you getting back on track. hope to see you in CP soon.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006  
Blogger E-Speed said...

I would think the running would help destress, sounds like you are in high demand!

Saturday, August 19, 2006  
Blogger Darrell said...

Sounds like you have a full and satisfying life.
I can sure come up with some "aggrevating mind games" in my training. Keep squeezing those runs in whenever it makes sense.

Sunday, August 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home