Tuesday, August 08, 2006

On the road again...

(I'm not sure how many of my old readers still check out this blog. I know I have 20 subscribers on bloglines, so I was counting on 19 other people reading my last post. However, I've realized over the last few days that there are still a few people who have been intermittently checking this blog. I peronally would have given up on anybody who didn't post for a week. So if you're one of those people that "stuck with me", thanks!)



Almost every night for six weeks I've been pretending that I was going to get up early and run the next morning. For one reason or another (all relating to laziness) it just hasn't happened.

At one point I almost gave up. I always hated those blogs that just disappeared into thin air. I appreciated the few comments and emails I got asking me what was going on. I even contemplated writing some sort of "goodbye" post. The only reason I didn't was because I knew that would be the end of my running. And I wasn't ready to throw in the towel yet. So I told myself I'll run tomorrow. Ok maybe the next day. Ok fine, the day after that. And so on, and so on...

I wasn't on call this Sunday, so it was a good time to get out there. I screwed around the apartment procastinating for a while, waiting for the residents to finish rounding at the hospital, so I could round with them on the phone. After waiting for a few hours I finally just got out there - afraid that I was going to blow it again.

As I walked to my usual running path, I really felt excited to be "out there" again. I couldn't belive I'd been pushing it off for so long. What was I thinking?!



The run itself went well. I felt pretty good out there, although I did feel it after 2 miles. (Of course my residents finally did call me while I was running for those 20 minutes, and so I had to round on the phone while running!) Now that I'm writing this a couple of days later, I can tell you that my quads have been sore for the last 60 hours or so - but at least it's kind of a good feeling of soreness.

Work has definitely gotten busier.

I also designed and made myself a webpage for work. I definitely don't have as much time as I used to have, but I certainly have enough time to go running. Carrying a pager and a cellphone is annoying, but I can do it. I have many of the weekends off, and so I can fit in some long runs without the pager then.

Part of the problem has also been the heat.

This was in my apartment last week! I have air conditioning in my room, and so it was bearable there. But the kitchen (and outdoors) was ridiculous.

I just have to do it. I'm not happy with how my body feels these days. I don't think the scale shows it so much, and neither does the picture above, but I just don't feel good. I've got to get serious about running and eating healthy. To be honest, I'm not so excited about the whole concept, but it has to be done.

I'm not sure how much time I'll have to post, but I'll try to stick to it. (A lot of the time goes into the picture taking, uploading, and editing. That may have to go.) I really appreciate having you guys out there, and helping me stick to my running. (Usually.)

By the way, I'm not always working. I did make out to the beach later in the day.


Anyway, it's good to be back. Thanks for waiting.

(Oh, and I'm going to get up early to go running tomorrow!)

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool site Dr.Farkas. I'm kind of motivated from that to make a professional one of my own-I think it's a great idea. It might help me generate more income than my sports site where I talk at length about sports bras and chafing...

Welcome back.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006  
Blogger LeahC said...

welcome back danny!

it took jason and i awhile to get back into running after a recent business trip. every run was like work, and it was all turning into not fun. we're better now, but i understand the frustration.

come back slowly and enjoy yourself. nice work site by the way!

Wednesday, August 09, 2006  
Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

I'm glad that you didn't give up running or blogging. You have a blogversary coming up...

If that doctor thing doesn't work out, you have web design to fall back on..

Wednesday, August 09, 2006  
Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

Since Audrey mentioned sports bras and chafing, there's bound to be some vistors looking for medical advice...

Wednesday, August 09, 2006  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

I'm still here, Danny. Keep at it. :)

Wednesday, August 09, 2006  
Blogger E-Speed said...

looks like it is going to cool off a wee bit so hopefully we all will hav ebetter running this week!

Thursday, August 10, 2006  
Blogger Donald said...

I'm one of the intermittent checkers. Glad to hear you're back. You sound pretty busy.

Thursday, August 10, 2006  
Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

He's ALIVE!! Nice job getting out there and getting back with it. We all have ups and downs...you'll be back to speeding around in no time!

Thursday, August 10, 2006  
Blogger Darrell said...

All right Danny! Glad your first trip back out there went well. I just recently set up a couple of bloglines so I was another frequent checker.

Friday, August 11, 2006  
Blogger jeanne said...

The whole reason I run is so I can blog about it later! You have no choice but to run, buddy: your audience awaits.

Friday, August 11, 2006  
Blogger Brad said...

Every so often I come by to see what you are up to. Waiting to hear about that next marathon!

Friday, August 11, 2006  
Blogger Triathamom said...

I'm so glad you're back, my superhero friend!! You've inspired me.I haven't blogged at all this summer, but still check on everybody else at least once a week. I leave in the morning for an end of summer vacation, but when I get back I will begin to blog again!!!

Friday, August 11, 2006  
Blogger Rae said...

Yeah!!! Keep with the blogging or at least drop us a line from time to time. It sucks when life gets in the way of running and blogging, if only we could all win Powerball!!

With us, everything got off during the move. I'm still slowly scaling everything back to the amount of training per week I enjoy and feel a lot better about it now!! And yes, it is HOTTER THAN HELL outside! UGH! You should try being down here!!! No wonder we can't put together halfway intelligent sentences, the sun has fried all our brains!!

Saturday, August 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home