Monday, June 26, 2006

Cancel the account, please.

In order to post about that AOL scam, I went running yesterday. You see, I feel guilty posting to my running blog, when I'm not running. So in the warm, humid, and wet weather yesterday, I went out for a run.

Although I don't think I'll be doing any fall marathons, I haven't fully accepted that yet. So even though I haven't run all week, I did a "long run" yesterday. I ran 6 miles, and it actually felt pretty good. My legs were tight in the last mile, but I felt good about myself all day after that. (Even as I stuffed myself with eggplant parmsagnia later that night!)

So now, about that AOL scam. I'm not sure if all of you saw this, but it was on all the radio stations here in New York. I know it was eventually on MSNBC and CNN.com, so it did get across the country. This guy called AOL to cancel his account, and taped the conversation. After 15 minutes of computer prompting and being on hold, he got 6 minutes where the customer service rep basically abused him. He remained polite - because he was taping the call - and the result is hilarious.

Anway, on the CNN piece they mentioned his blog, and that he was from the Bronx. I checked out the blog, and left him a comment, with a little cheer for the Bronx. A couple of minutes later we were corresponding by email. First I was thinking, "How crazy is it, that I just saw this guy on CNN.com, and now I'm having an email conversation with him." Then it turns out, that he lives literally 1 minute away from me. Kind of cool. Bronx in 'da house!

In other news, the surgery residents graduated last week.

There's a tradition that they rip on the attendings (staff doctors) every year. It was only a couple of years ago, that I was giving this presentation for my class. Now that I am on staff in the same hospital, I must admit that I was a little nervous. Fortunately, they took it easy on me for my first year, and were actually quite nice. They were a good group, and I hope to keep in touch with many of them.

8 Comments:

Blogger Beanie said...

omg - too funny about the AOL thing. Those guys had it coming!

Wednesday, June 28, 2006  
Blogger Rae said...

I heard that scam on the radio the other day, it was TOO funny!

That's so crazy that he lives so near to you!! AOL is NUTS! And probably REALLY embarassed right now!

Thursday, June 29, 2006  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

When the internet needs an enema, AOL is where they stick the hose.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006  
Blogger Darrell said...

The AOL thing is pretty funny, but I also find it funny that you had to go for a run, guilt is such a funny thing.
I wouldn't completely count out a fall 'thon. It's still possible to put together a trainig plan, if you get to it soon. No matter, keep up the running, guilt free. Aren't you in to NYC in 2007?

Thursday, July 06, 2006  
Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

OMG - that is too funny that you live so close that guy!! Cool!

Way to get in out and run - no matter what the motivation! I take'em however I can get'em.

Thursday, July 06, 2006  
Blogger jeanne said...

i can't hear the aol thing bcs it won't work on my powerbook...WAAAAAAHHHH
must.find.alternate.source.asap.

Saturday, July 08, 2006  
Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

Hey Dan. Just checking in with you. It's been a month since your last post.

Friday, July 28, 2006  
Blogger Rae said...

What's going on??? It's been forever!

Friday, August 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home