Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The weekend

I guess I'm always busy these days, but I did promise the details. So in brief, this was my weekend:

Saturday I got up early to make some quick rounds at the hospital, and then head over to synagague. Or so I thought. As I was getting dressed, I got paged that there was someone who needed an operation. I got to the hospital, and was able to get that patient to the OR pretty quickly. Before I even started I had a second case lined up, and while I was doing that one I got a third. By the time I was done with all of those, and finished rounding, it was late in the afternoon. I got a few hours of rest in the afternoon, and then by nighttime I had another case. This one didn't get started until midnight, and I didn't end up going to sleep until after 4:00.

So needless to say I was pretty tired for the race on Sunday morning. I thought about not going, but I had already signed up for it, and I wanted to get in another race. So at 6:45 I dragged myself out of bed. I logged in on the computer, and made some calls to the hospital, and then headed out to the race.

The race was packed - 4,537 finishers. It was also pretty hot - officially 78 degress at race time. I was glad I wasn't trying to actually race this one. I was thinking of it more as an everyday kind of run, with the added advantage of carrying a chip across a finish line one more time.

They had some lady running calisthenics before the race. There weren't too many takers for that. My camera phone didn't capture it well, but check out the view from Central Park. Pretty awesome, isn't it?

So I started the race off really slow. Instead of passing people, I was letting them pass me. Since I'd run so little in the past month I thought I'd have to stop a few times during the 5 miles. But actually, I felt pretty good. I mean it was hot and humid, and not easy, but I didn't feel out of gas at all. I just kept going. In fact, I think I naturally sped up over the course of the 5 miles. Not really on purpose, but I think that tends to happen when I'm in a race environment. My Garmin didn't record the last mile properly, but it's clear that I had progressively negative splits. In fact, when I got to the last mile, I had enough in me to really speed it up. I thought I heard my name towards the end, and really sprinted the last few hundred yards.

I ended up with a net time of 45:40, or a 9:08 mile. Considering that my PR is 44:27, and I didn't even try that hard this race, I'm pretty happy with that performance. My quads have been aching today, but that kind of feels good as well.

This was my 9th NYRR race this year, so I now have guaranteed acceptance for the 2007 NYC Marathon. (If I want it.)

I like how the bibs are individualized these days. My first posterboard had mostly identical looking bibs.

I mentioned in an earlier post that this was the first race I ran, six years ago. Turns out it was exactly six years ago. Cool.

Anyway, after the race I headed home to shower, and then headed out to New Jersey for the wedding. Man it was far! The wedding was really nice, and I saw a lot of people I hadn't seen in a while. The only crazy thing was that the ceremony was outside. It was about a million degrees outside, and people were melting. I felt silly that I had taken my suit to the drycleaners for this wedding, and it didn't even last 10 minutes. Everybody had their jacket off, and we were all sweating like crazy.

They gave out fans, which had the wedding program printed out on them. Cute - and useful - idea!

Okay it wasn't a million degrees. But it was pretty close! This was taken on the way from the wedding.

After the wedding I went back to the hospital for one more operation. Than some more rounds, and a few more new consults. By the time I got home I was thoroughly exhausted.

I've only sort of caught up on my rest. Tonight was game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. I wasn't cheering for any particular team, but it was pretty full of excitement from start to finish. I'm usually a traditionalist, and I was initially skeptical of all the rule changes. However, with the exception of the enormous amount of power play goals, I think the game has really improved. Tonight was a good example.

So that was it. The last few weeks have been kind of crazy for me, and I'm looking forward to getting back to a more normal routine. Hopefully that will include a little more running as well.

New: I just wanted to add that this August 27th will be the first NYC Half Marathon. It starts in Central Park, goes through Times Square, and ends downtown. The registration opens Wednesday at noon, and it will probably sell out pretty quickly. I don't think I'll be ready for it, but for anyone interested in making a running trip to NYC, this might be a good idea.


Blogger susie said...

Hope you catch up on your sleep soon!

Tuesday, June 20, 2006  
Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

You're a wild man. What a busy weekend... Where did you go in Jersey? You should have stopped by..

The NYC half marathon is tempting. I may have to break my vow not to race in hot weather.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006  
Blogger LeahC said...

i would have totally been there for that half marathon but jason has shifts that weekend and so we can get out! oh well, maybe next year.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006  
Blogger Leta said...

Was at your race on Sunday!!! Made the visit to NYC this past week and loved it. I'll probably be heading up to run some road races there late summer and fall. Can understand why you love running there. :)

Friday, June 23, 2006  
Blogger Rae said...

The NYC half does sound like a lot of fun. I'm so ready for fall already!!

Friday, June 23, 2006  
Blogger jeanne said...

i hate when i have operations stacked up like planes waiting to land...just kidding!

great job on the race with no sleep! more importantly, great job at the wedding with no sleep plus a race! I'd love to do the NYC half but my kid will be going back to school that weekend. sob.

Saturday, July 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home