Wednesday, October 04, 2006

I hate shopping

Went to JackRabbit Sports last night. It's a pretty cool store in that they're not just for running; they do the whole triathlete thing. However, the running section is pretty thorough, and they have treadmills with those cameras to analyze your pronation. It turns out that I'm pretty neutral, as I expected. So my current shoe, the Asics Nimbus VII's, were a good choice, but it was time for new ones.

And here's the annoying part about running shoes. They've of course updated to the Nimbus VIII's by now. They looked pretty good, and use their new, lighter cushioning material, Solyte. So I was looking forward to this pair. Unfortunately, they just didn't feel right. The new model is a little narrower, and the overlays are a little different, and so the shoe didn't feel the same. When I put my own inserts in they felt a little more familiar, but still not perfect. The sales guy told me that he had made the same switch, and felt uncomfortable for the first week, after which it didn't bother him anymore. I really hate those situations. The store will accept the shoe back even if you run in it, but only for an excahnge or credit. Since I didn't like any other shoe there - though I lose patience fast when shopping - I wasn't anxious to end up with a $120 credit there.

So now I'm thinking of buying a Nimbus VII online. (I would gladly have bought one from JackRabbit had they had one.) I was happy with the VII's. I'm a little weary buying online, because you don't get to try them on. They're available in a ton of places, including Amazon. Anybody have any thoughts?

As for running, let's see. I told you about the 7 miles on Friday. Sunday night to Monday night was Yom Kippur, with its 25 hours of fasting. After a quick snack Monday night, we went out for a run. It felt really fast, but in the end was just a little faster than normal. We weren't exactly "carb loaded".

I'd like to try the track today. I was on call last night and admitted a few patients, some of whom will need operations. Since I'm heading out of town tomorrow night, I'm going to try and get them done today, so my schedule might be a little in flux. We'll see. In the meantime, I've looked up this extensive article on track markings. Even after reading all that, I have no clue how to tell what's going on. I'm not interested in relays, hurdles, or steeplechase marking. All I want to know is where to start and stop if I want to run 400m, 800m, 1600m, or a mile. I suppose it would be nice to understand the markings a little, because I may not always be able to run in "lane one", depending on the crowd. If anybody has any links to easier track guides, I'd appreciate it.

Have a good day, all.

6 Comments:

Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

I've been using the Nimbus VII as my training shoe. I tried it on in the store and bought it online. I had no problems. I thought about upgrading to the VIII for my marathon shoe, but I didn't like the feel. I bought a pair of Adidas Supernova Cushions, though I'm thinking that I will return them and get another pair of the VII. Good luck with your shoe quest.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006  
Blogger LeahC said...

Hi Danny-

I know a bit about track markings. 400 is the easiest. There should be some lines in each lane at the "start". This line should be the one the goes the farthest. meaning that if you are in the outer most lane, it should be the last line since I think the 400m race is the longest race that is a "stay in your lane" race. For 800.....I would try and stick with lane one. if you had to do 600s I would go opposite the start and find the 200m lines and do 1.5 laps (although it might be too far). 1600m is about one mile (4 laps). This race does not stay in your lane and there is a kind of curved line at the start. People line up on this and immediatly move into the inside lanes......that probably didn't help the confusion......but maybe :-)

Wednesday, October 04, 2006  
Blogger Darrell said...

If you like the VII's, buying them on line shouldn't affect the feel, as long as you are able to find them. Good Luck, trying a new shoe is always a little scary.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just got the nimbus 8--i love 'em, for whatever it's worth...

Wednesday, October 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely buy them online. I tried on the Cumulus 8's at JackRabbit once and didn't like them, so I just found a site online that I could get a couple of pairs of the 7's to last me through the marathon-and they felt no different than the ones that I bought in the store (and at this point, you should be able to find the Nimbus 7's for a very good price online!)

Thursday, October 05, 2006  
Blogger Rae said...

If you like what you have I'd buy some online or go to the NYC marathon expo and get some of the old models. Brent hates the new Asics 2110 but loved his old 2100s and was able to still get some of the old 2100s at some larger expos this past spring.

Sunday, October 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home