Thursday, January 04, 2007

So Far, So Good

So this weight loss thing started this week. Sunday was a fast day which was easy, although I think I more than made up for it when the fast ended at night. Monday was a great day. I had some oatmeal in the morning, another type of granola bar at lunch, and then ran 10 miles. For some reason, it wasn't that hard not to go crazy on dinner.

So by Tuesday morning I could see my weight decreasing already. That little victory has made the rest of the week easier. I generally have a coffee (or three) for breakfast, a small lunch or a Slimfast instead, and then a healthy dinner on the early side. No real snacks. No stopping by the cabinet for junk food every time I feel like it. No fries with my chicken shishkebab last night. I'm down about 4 pounds already, and it hasn't even been that tough.

The weekend is the killer for my diets, though. On the Sabbath we are supposed to have three meals. That usually means one large one Friday night, another large one Saturday lunch, and a smaller one Saturday afternoon. The problem is that when I say "large", I mean more than most people serve for Thanksgiving dinners. Twice in one day! Since I'm single, I'm often a guest for these meals, and that further pressures me to eat more. It's really going to be tough not losing control.

This Sunday, I have a race in the morning. I'll probably have breakfast with some of my fellow runners afterwards. Then I have a wedding, after which I have a separate party to attend. Another challenging day! After such a good week, I really don't want to blow it on the weekend. Sigh...

In running news, things have been good. After the 10 miles on New Years Day, I did some speedwork on Wednesday. I did 8 repeats of 400m, with 200m of jogging in between. My splits were pretty much where I wanted them, and pretty consistent. They were all between 1:42 and 1:49. It wasn't superfast, but it had me breathing pretty heavy. My shins were tight too.

I was planning on waiting until Friday to run again, but I was done early today, and felt pretty energized. (I think it's the whole diet and weight loss thing!) So I went out for 4 miles, and was able to pick up the pace pretty comfortably.



That's kind of in the range of my PR pace for 5 miles, which is the distance of this Sunday's race. I haven't felt in PR shape lately, but who knows? My 5 mile PR is out of whack (slower) than my other PR's.

In other news, I finally got all the new shoes I ordered. Three sets of Nimbus VII's, all in different colors. I got rid of all my old running shoes last week, as part of a major cleaning up and throwing out effort.


My roommate thought these were all the same. (Two are.) They're all Asics, and they're all blue.


Just so you know, I didn't just throw them in the garbage!


Nimbus VII x 3. Red, Navy, Orange. (I still like blue the best.)

And finally, here's a video I took afeer my 10 mile run. As I was icing my shins, I could see and feel the muscles in my calf twitching away. I'm not sure what that was all about. I didn't drink anything on the run, and when I got home I drank a lot and ate some salt as well. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it, but it was kind of weird.



(Just to orient you, at the left is the back of my knee. To the right is my shin, with a blue ice pack on it. Look at my leg just above the ice pack. Freaky.)

Ok, that's it for now. Have a great weekend, everybody!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wear nimbus viii's. asics are the best! good luck on your race!

Friday, January 05, 2007  
Blogger rivkayael said...

I hear you re: Shabbos, but am trying to actually focus on the "rest and JOY" rather than on control-- even if it means preparing for it the other 6 days of the week. This is very idealistic and aish.com-esque, but they may have caught on to something =). Shabbat shalom!

Friday, January 05, 2007  
Blogger Rae said...

Great job with the weight loss so far! I swear you must know everyone in NYC - you go to SO many weddings!! Do you actually know these people or are you a wedding crasher??? =)

Friday, January 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are quite the socialite.

That video was just freaky for sure. I was waiting for some alien spawn to come crashing through any second.

Saturday, January 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

coffee or three is my kinda coffee. 4 lbs is great danny. the weekends are going to test my will-power too . . . i must be good.

Saturday, January 06, 2007  
Blogger rivkayael said...

You PR-ed by so much!! Well done!
Sorry to have missed you. It was rather crowded. Looking forward to meeting next time!

Sunday, January 07, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MMMMMMMM...the smell of new running shoes. Enjoy breaking them in! (although I am a Mizuno/Brooks gal, Asics are very nice too)

Monday, January 15, 2007  
Blogger Sara said...

The thing that blows me away (and it's not the 7 pounds, though that's impressive too) is that there's a place in the US where you have sort of official "shabbos." Do you notice it there? I've never been in the US in a place where there are lots of members of the tribe....

Wednesday, January 24, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home