Sunday, October 21, 2007

Bad Blogging

With all the traveling, I felt like the stuff I had to post here kept growing. Then it became overwhelming. Combined with my computer being really slow lately, I basically neglected this blog.

You know when you haven't spoken to a friend in a while, how it then gets more difficult to call that person? Since you now need to have a "real" conversation, you now need to find "real time" to call. Then you keep pushing it off and off until it becomes even more of a problem. (Does this just happen to me?) Anyway, sometimes you just have to call when you have a chance, even if it's a quick call.

So this is it. A quick-ish update.

After the Toronto Half, I took it easy the first run back, but then went back to schedule. I ran 10 miles on Tuesday, speedwork on Wednesday, and then my long run on Sunday. I woke up at 4:45 to get 15 miles in before heading to New Orleans for the American College of Surgery.

While I was there, I was inducted as a Fellow in the college. Most surgeons eventually get to this point, but it's nice to have it done with anyway. It was a nice ceremony, and I now have a few extra letters to put on my business card. (FACS - Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.)



I ran some speedwork along the waterfront in New Orleans. It wasn't really a good place to run, and it was really hot. But it's always nice to run in a new city. It really allows you to see it from a different perspective.

New Orleans itself was awesome. I heard a lot of great music, and had a really fun time. (Oh, and the conference was good too!)

I did my tempo run when I got back, and was set for my long run on Sunday. Only that I had to be down in Baltimore for a wedding at noon. So I went down Saturday night, arriving at 1 am. And then got up at 6 to get my 20 miles in before the wedding. (Of course I ran into the Susan G. Komen "run", but since this is a "quick" update, I'll leave that out.)

The run was great, along a beautiful trail. It was found and suggested to me by the bride. Some of you may remember her as Running Skirt.


Congratulations to the happy couple.

This past week I did 8 x 800 intervals at the track on Tuesday. Ouch. And some tempo work on Thursday. This morning I did 13 miles. It ended up being somewhere around an 8:51 pace, but I was really struggling. Ok, I did it late, and it was in the mid 70's, but still it was tough. A little discouraging, but overall I think I'm much better trained than I've ever been.

So two weeks to go until the NYC Marathon. I'm excited, anxious, (and a little burn out). I can't wait for it to be here (and to be done with it)! I'll think I'll talk about my marathon goals another time. For now, I'm hoping that these little sore areas on my toes are not becoming blisters...

3 Comments:

Blogger brent said...

nice work on adding those extra letters.
2 weeks! you are ready. i think a little burnout is totally normal at this stage; the taper is coming now eh? thanks for the feedback on your forerunner, i ended up placing an order online today after much contemplation. hopefully it works out.

Monday, October 22, 2007  
Blogger Darrell said...

A very big congratulations on the new addition to the credential. To a Biology major who made it through the micro course (weed out class for the premeds) I am impressed.

Feeling burnt out right now seems just about right 2 weeks away from the next NYC. Take it easy these last two weeks and good luck on race day.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007  
Blogger Jank said...

Congrats on the cred, and great to hear about the good training. Race Day is going to be something to hear about..

Sunday, October 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home