Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Sunday 18



I went into the city on Sunday to run my miles in Central Park. I did 3 complete loops, including Harlem Hill, in order to get some "hillwork" in. It was a little cooler this weekend, probably in the high 60's, which made a big difference. Last week I really struggled, but this week was a lot better.

My target pace was supposed to be 9:30. I always start slow, but I have a hard time feeling out exactly how fast I'm going. I can just tell if I'm working hard or not. Often I can look at my Garmin, but it was really struggling in the park this time. In fact, because of all the editing, it's hard to figure out all my splits even after the fact. According to SportTracks I started at a 9:37 mile, and by a few miles in I was running sub-9's. I think I was probably a little slower than that.

My times for the loop were:
54:14
51:51 (ok, not including a bathroom break)
51:24 (no break!)

Depending on what distance I use for the loop, I get these paces:
9:53
8:36
8:32

Wow! I did feel tired at the end, and I knew I was going fast, but still. I did a little more than 18 miles in 2:35:27. Throw in another 8.2 miles at 9 minutes each, and that's a 3:49 marathon. (Ok I stopped for a few minutes, so make it 3:52. Still!)

I know the 4 hour marathon is within grasp, and it's making me nervous. I have 11 weeks left to worry about weather, injury, bad luck, or some screw-up causing me to not do it. In the past it was just some sort of dream goal, but now that it's so obviously attainable, it's scary.

4 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

Definitely attainable. And again with the negative splits, you're killing me Danny. I need to change my tactic to do that. You're using the FIRST program right? You and Shoreturtle? It seems to be working.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007  
Blogger londonjogger said...

Hi Danny, That sounds like a great run, I'm really enjoying your blog - I managed to read from the start to after your first marathon last week.Sounds like you're really on track for a great race - i'll be reading with interest. take care :)

Wednesday, August 22, 2007  
Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

Unless you are unfairly ticketed, I see a great marathon for you! Fingers crossed!

Friday, August 24, 2007  
Blogger peter said...

Quick! Knock on some wood! Set the cruise control on 9:09 at the beginning on the big day and see what happens! You might really surprise yourself. Gas in the tank is better than time in the bank.

Monday, August 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home