Friday, November 02, 2007

Last training run

Just got back from my last run before the big race. Very exciting. I was supposed to do 3 miles at marathon pace, but ended up running them faster. Pace is definitely going to be an issue for me Sunday.

Speaking of issues, my back is killing me. My roommates moved out on Wednesday and I ended up helping carry some things. I knew it was a bad idea, but it's hard to say no. I didn't feel too bad than, but my right upper back hurts a lot now, and it's difficult to move my right arm well. It was really bothering me when I took a deep breath in, and I even thought about getting a chest x ray to make sure I didn't have pneumonia. But I'm pretty sure that's just crazy paranoia, so I took some motrin, and I hope it will settle down by Sunday.



I went to the expo yesterday to pick up my number. The actual number pickup took 2 minutes. The system worked really well. The rest of the expo sucked.



First of all, they're charging 20 bucks to get you from the ferry to the start of the race. This is a 5 minute bus ride!! I've heard it was free in the past, and that there might be city buses to take you, and that you might even be able to walk it. So I really feel like a sucker. But everyone else was on line, so what the hell. But it is upsetting that a marathon with almost a hundred dollar entry fee, has to charge another twenty bucks to drive you 5 minutes.

In fact, the whole expo was a ripoff. Nothing is cheap at the expo. Asics sponsors the marathon store, and there was no discount. At least I didn't have to waste time shopping. I'll do that some other time, thank you. Even the throwaway gloves I used to buy for 2 bucks, are now 4 dollars. That's 100% increase!


GU, anybody?

Anyway, I'm done with that. The next big challenge is getting to the race. I'm going to take the Staten Island Ferry, and I'll probably take the train there. Once again the sucker feeling comes in here. They tell you that the last opportunity to get on the ferry and bus is the 8:00 ferry. Which means leaving my house before 6:30. My friend took the 9:00 ferry last year, and felt he was too early. He's shooting for the 9:30 ferry this year, so he doesn't have to sit around in the cold. I'm sure he's going to be fine, but I just don't have the guts to do it. So like a sucker I'll be up at 5 or something, so that by the time I start the marathon, I'll already be exhausted!

(All this really makes me want to run smaller races in the future. For both Toronto and New Haven I drove up to the race, parked a few minutes away, and could sit in my car until right before the race.)

Ok, I think that's enough complaining for now. The weather seems like it will hang in there. The forecast is for temperatures in the 50's, though there will be some wind. Somehow, rain has appeared on the Saturday forecast. That's really a shame for the marathon qualifiers (and their fans). I hope it's not too bad.

I did see the medal at the expo, and that was kind of cool. It features the finish. I seem to remember that the past three years featured the beginning, middle, and end. I guess I'll be one short of the whole set. But this year's medal is still pretty cool.



Also, this sign was above the highway on the way home.



Very exciting!

12 Comments:

Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

Go Dan Go!

Friday, November 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there--good luck! remembered i have a concert on sunday, so i can't be there...but i'll be thinking about you. have a blast!

Friday, November 02, 2007  
Blogger jeanne said...

danny you must be so excited!! I can't believe they are charging to take you to the start. well, that's the big apple for you--nothing is cheap. and sorry the expo was a bust. i love it when they have lots of free crap to give away.

as i told david, remember: it's all about WINNING!

:)

Friday, November 02, 2007  
Blogger Rae said...

Good luck Sunday!!! You are going to do GREAT!

And I agree, smaller races are awesome and a much better value. I love getting up an hour before hand and just walking to the start!!

Friday, November 02, 2007  
Blogger Jank said...

Pacing will be key - remember the second half's a much tougher course than the first.

Go, Danny, Go, though!

Saturday, November 03, 2007  
Blogger Bridges Runner said...

Good luck and may the marathon gods be with you:)

Saturday, November 03, 2007  
Blogger A Deal Or No Deal said...

If pacing's an issue, you definitely want to make the first 2-3 miles feel like a long run. Take the early splits seriously and don't try and bank time. Anything faster than 8:30 is going to cause problems later on.

Saturday, November 03, 2007  
Blogger David H. said...

You know my thoughts on saying good luck ... so instead I'll say enjoy the race and happy running! You know it's not luck that'll make Sunday a great experience!

Saturday, November 03, 2007  
Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

Go Danny! I'll be thinking of your race on Sunday. The weather will definitely be better than the Chicago scene!

Saturday, November 03, 2007  
Blogger brent said...

very exciting. that medal looks awesome. have a great race!

Saturday, November 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck. I'm looking forward to the race report.

Saturday, November 03, 2007  
Blogger peter said...

Cool! NYCM was my fave of 15 marathons, w/o a doubt. I liked the Expo too,as, being an out of towner, the whole experience was pretty expensive so I took it in stride. I bought a canary yellow long sleeve that was easy to spot for my peeps; it was practically all they had left. I stayed on SI, 8 blocks from the ferry, and a friend drove me to the start at 9:15, no worries and no traffic. If there'd been traffic we'd have bailed and walked or jogged (it's about 2.5 miles). Beat getting up at 5 and being in freezing Fort Wadsworth at 6:30! Good luck Danny!

Sunday, November 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home