Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Bad Habits

I've been going to an all-you-could-eat sushi & chinese place for quite a few years. It's a weekly deal on Mondays. Most of the week I think I'm not going to go, but Monday afternoon I start to feel the pull.

I've tried a few tricks. First I would tell myself I'll only have sushi, which is healthy (healthier?) right? But I'd always give in to the chinese. Then I decided to try the takeout offer. Same deal, except it's not all you can eat, but rather all you can stuff into the plastic container they give you. So I took only sushi. Trouble was, it's a lot of sushi!

For a couple of weeks I was good, and managed to eat the sushi over two days. But the last two weeks I've eaten this ridiculous amount of sushi in one shot. Last night I don't even think I wanted the last few pieces. But I couldn't throw them out either.

Combined with all the soy sauce causing me to retain water, I felt terrible when I was done. This morning, I was 3.5 pounds up from yesterday, and I didn't eat that much else during the day. I can't even put that on my graph, it's so ridiculous.

Since I didn't get a long run in on the weekend, I planned to run 12 this morning. I left early, so it wasn't too hot. (Though it was still pretty hot.) I felt terrible. The first few miles were really a struggle - which I blame directly on last night's dinner.

I was going to shorten the run to 10, but by 5 I felt a little better and so I forged on to about 6 before turning around. In the end the last 2 miles were killer. I was pretty slow all day, running about 10 min miles, a little above or a little below. And I took plenty of walk breaks. But the last two miles were rough. It could be because I was back in the heat again, but I felt wiped. And so with all those calories last night, I still didn't have the energy needed for this run. It was depressing.



And for the record, though I drank 40 oz of water on the run, I was down 3 pounds just from the run. Obviously some dehydration, but I like to think that I was sweating out some of the salt as well. Actually didn't feel that thirsty when I was done, so we'll see what happens.

Anyway, old habits die hard. I'm not ready to swear off this weekly treat of mine, I just think I need to adjust a little. Maybe not stuff the container so full that I can barely snap the lid on? It's a work in progress.

I'm away from my scale tomorrow morning, so the next weigh-in will be Thursday morning. I suspect that might impact how I feel about this Monday extravaganza...

3 Comments:

Blogger Pesach Sommer said...

I used to weigh 250. I am happy to share my thoughts on losing weight. Either way, be in touch.

rabbipesach@gmail.com

Tuesday, June 01, 2010  
Anonymous David H. said...

I used to have this obsession with a particular Mexican restaurant once a week. While Mexican food can actually be really good for you, I always, always, always overindulged. I'm not sure how I broke the habit, but now I limit Mexican to once a month ... MAYBE twice a month. Now I'm just eating too much in general.

Wednesday, June 02, 2010  
Anonymous keens said...

Running is the best way in losing weight because I lose weight by running every morning...Also bu joining running activities...:D

Monday, August 09, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home