Thursday, June 17, 2010

Running "Naked"

I've had iPod troubles. My last 5 or so runs have been "naked", that is without any music or podcasts. It hasn't been too bad, but on several of those occasions I had been expecting the entertainment, and it failed at he last second. That's kind of annoying.

I had a 2nd generation shuffle, which just stopped working out of the blue. I couldn't charge it for days, and then suddenly one day it charged. (I have a replacement charging connector, and I wasn't sure if it was the connector or the shuffle.) Anyway, once I charged it up, I took it out for a run. Nothing. I assumed the battery was dead.

So I order a new player. (Sandisk Clip Plus. I'm Interested to try a non-iPod out.) In the meantime, I've had an old first generation shuffle sitting around the apartment. I bought it as an extra gift many years ago, and then never ended up using it. So I charge it up, load up some songs, and charge it fully overnight. The green light was on. Today I took it out for a run - nothing. Couldn't get it to start.

Strange this is, that when I get back home, the thing works fine. I'm so intrigued that I check out the original shuffle as well. Wouldn't you know, that works fine too. I even took it with me to work, listening to it on the commute both ways. No problem. So weird.

In the meantime, to make things even worse, my amazon order for the new player has been delayed. Halfway through my order being filled, my credit card account was compromised. They closed the account and sent me a new card. The credit card people said the amazon charge would still go through, but today I get an email that there's a problem. Sigh...

Anyway, now I have two players that work. At least in the house. And hopefully the new one next week - which I'm looking forward to. It comes with 2gb for 29 bucks, and I have another 2gb microSD card hanging around. And so, I'll quadruple my current mp3 capacity. This will allow me to put podcasts and music on the same player. I just hope it's not too much of a pain using a non-iPod. I've been using iTunes all these years...

In other news, I put in two short runs this week. 4 on tuesday, and 5 today. I ran today as a slow tempo, just under a 9 minute mile, but no stops. Felt pretty good.... Hope to go nice and long on the weekend. On call Saturday, so hopefully that won't be on no sleep like the last time.

Diet was looking good early in the week. (I skipped the all you can eat!) Took a bit of backward step today, but I ate a lot last night. I weigh myself in the mornings, and so eating at nght really hurts me. (At least it kept me from eating the M&M's in front of me at work today.) I hope to be hitting a major milestone soon, so I'm still sticking to things most of the time.

3 Comments:

Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

I find it frustrating when my players fail as well.

I've learnt that ipod touches are not to be run with! They can't handle sweat at all.

Thursday, June 17, 2010  
Anonymous Robin Harvie said...

Have you tried listening to audiobooks rather than music? Made a huge difference for me as you have to pay close attention to what you are listening to, and three hours seems to fly by!

Saturday, July 24, 2010  
Anonymous zbsports said...

Running with music is a lot fun...it inspired me a lot...

Saturday, August 07, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home