Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sauna Suit Stupidity

My legs have been sore lately. I think trying to "catch up" my long run after I missed it for the race, was a bad idea. In any case, I took an "easy" day and only ran 10 miles. Feels funny to say that, but the last few weeks have been 11, 12, and 13. Each week the last few miles have been tough, and so today's 10 actually seemed relatively easy. I think it was a good move.

Hypothetically, if I would be starting the FIRST program in a few weeks, I'd start out with a 13 miler. I can already see that I'm not up to snuff to start out the program as prescribed. I don't recommend modifying it, but I may have to do that myself - though I don't expect the same results.

The diet has stalled a little as well - this wasn't a good week for me. I'm trying to get back on track, and at least I haven't really gained much.

Speaking of weight loss, I have noticed this this increasing trend lately of runners wearing these "sauna suits".

This is one of the most idiotic ideas I have seen. The fact that people believe this is helping them is insane. The only use for this is for a weightlifter or boxer to (temporarily!) get down to weight. I don't think any of the overweight "joggers" I see are using it this way. They actually believe that sweating more will lead to more weight loss. It makes me want to stop and educate each one. Firstly, it's dangerous. Second, in all likelihood it leads to less exertion, with the dehydration and overheating leading to earlier exhaustion.

For the record, in these hot summer days I try to run with as little as possible, often wearing sleeveless tops. Even with drinking I get dehydrated. On today's 10 mile run, even with my water belt, I still lost 4 pounds on the run.

I changed the title of this post, on the off chance someone will find it in a google search. If you're considering getting one of these for weight loss, don't do it! To lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you take in. Sweating more does NOT burn calories. It only dehydrates you - which is dangerous and not lasting.

End of rant...

4 Comments:

Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

gotta get me one of them! j/k

Sunday, June 13, 2010  
Anonymous David H. said...

My dad used to have one of those suits ... back in the 1980s. I had no idea they were making a comeback.

Monday, June 14, 2010  
Anonymous cloudveil said...

sauna suits is a nice suit...looks cool...i will try to wear that too...:D

Saturday, August 07, 2010  
Anonymous brooks said...

I agree with you. Diet is one of the best way to reduce weight. It's effective. :)

Tuesday, October 12, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home