Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Aftermath

Well the video is online:



You can see me on the right of the screen, wearing my trademark marathon outfit (see above). Notice the cramping at the end, and then the limping away. Ouch. I limped forward to get my medal, heat sheet, and food. Then began the long walk to the baggage.

They start the baggage trucks in reverse order, and so truck 62 was first. I had to walk back to 29, and then to about 14 to get out of the park. Mile 27! As I limped along, people kept asking me if I was alright. On the 5th guy, I said I was really cramped, which meant he started walking with me to the medical tent. He handed me off to another volunteer, and by the time I was at the medical tent, I decided to just keep going. I didn't want to stop - I just wanted to get out of the park.

I was not in as bad shape as after my first marathon, but not in as good shape as last time. As I exited the park I tried to stretch but found that I couldn't really do it. It either hurt too much, or I physically couldn't get into the right position. It's now been 4 days, and I can still feel pain in my calves and the bottom of my hamstrings. Last time by this time I had gone out for a short run. I may try tomorrow morning - but it will be a gameday decision.

I need to analyze how the run went, but I think I'll leave that for another post...

3 Comments:

Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Too strange about people asking if you were ok. There had to be a 1000 other people feeling just like you there. Must have been something about you that people felt you needed special tending to.

Well, nice job on the marathon, Danny. A hard fought race but you kept going. :)

Thursday, November 18, 2010  
Blogger Valurevolution said...

Danny,

This is a pretty informative and focussed blog. Keep up the good work (and offcourse the good run!)

You may also like this..cheers..

http://valurevolution.blogspot.com/2011/03/my-first-marathon-story-true-story.html

Tuesday, March 08, 2011  
Anonymous bob said...

Hey, really great blog post… I've enjoyed reading through your blog because of the great style and energy you put into each post. I actually run AceHealth.org, a blog of my personal research and experiences. If you're interested, I would love to have you on as a guest blogger. Please send me an e-mail: bob.mauer65(at)gmail(dot)com, and I can give you more information. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sunday, April 10, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home