Thursday, October 14, 2010

Getting Faster

Lately, my training runs have been fast. Or what I consider fast. I looked back at where I was in 2007, and in fact, I've been running slightly faster as of late.

Now I'm annoyed. For the majority of this training cycle, I've felt that I was nowhere near where I was in 2007. I started out 20 pounds heavier, and much slower. And so I assumed that a PR was out of the question. Actually, I kind of felt that my 2007 performance would likely be the best ever for me. It was an hour faster than 2005, and I felt I was in really great shape then.

And now, suddenly I feel as though I could actually better my time. Only, that I really haven't trained appropriately. I've run some of these last training runs fast, but I could tell that I wouldn't be able to keep it up. One thing I definitely don't want to do, is crash and burn during this race. I don't want to start too fast, and then suffer through the last 10 miles. (Been there, done that.) And so I'm not certain how to run this race...

It's interesting for me to realize that I have a lot more running potential in me. Quite honestly, I'm tired now and can't really think about doing this again. But I can tell that if I started the training season in good shape, and trained as if I was going to run a 3:30, that I could definitely do it.

I think I'll try and start at a comfortable pace, and then gauge how I'm doing at about 10 miles. Easier said than done, but that's what I'm thinking right now.

(Of course it could be a torrential downpour, or 75 degrees, and all this will go out the window. But it's still too early to obsess about the weather at this point!)

3 Comments:

Anonymous David H. said...

I know it's tough to start slow, but if you can, just hang back at the beginning and hit those first 5 miles at a comfortable pace. Then see what happens. I understand what you're saying here. It's easy to look back in hindsight and do things differently, but it is what it is. Go out there, have fun and see what happens.

Friday, October 15, 2010  
Anonymous marmot said...

I sometimes feel the same way...But later I realize that I have a lot of running potentials to develop and my training help a lot in unleashing it.

Friday, October 15, 2010  
Anonymous spyder said...

If you have the potential, it will come out..maybe not that soon,, but it will.. :)

Wednesday, October 20, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home