Monday, March 20, 2006

Back on track

So I never made it to the gym Thursday. But I'm back on track, as of yesterday. Yesterday I ran 7 miles outdoors. It was a little windy, but I was excited to get that kind of distance in again. I stopped a few times to stretch (and my calves are still tight today!) but I persisted through to the end. One of the tricks I played on myself was to run an out and back course. I was 3.5 miles away from home before I turned around. So I couldn't really give up even if I wanted to.




Seven miles used to be a relatively short run. Now after seven miles I'm doing Lance Armstrong imitations!

I don't know how everyone always runs with cameras. There were some cool things I would have taken pictures of had I been carrying one. (Like the horses waiting for me to cross in front of them, the damaged guardrails on the side of the highway, and the guys out golfing while I'm working my butt off running past the golf course!) Do you guys just stop running to take pictures of interesting things?

Today I went back to the pool, for the first time in more than a week. I lost a little progress, but not that much. I was still able to actually swim and breathe in some sort of coordinated fashion. Just not for that long at a time. I put in 40 laps lengths total, but the longest I went without stopping was 10 lengths, or 250 yards. Pretty paltry. Once I get better at the actual swimming, I really have to work on my endurance. For the 10 lengths today I made a deliberate effort to go slow, but I was still pretty winded halfway through. I took quite a few breaks while "resting" on my side between strokes.

Saturday night, I went to this quasi-annual trivia fundraising event.


Our team had high expectations as we were the defending champions, but it wasn't in the cards this year.


In other news, the pilgrims to "the tree" are back on the street. About two years ago, somebody noticed that the tree across the street has a marking on it that looks like Mary. (It came from being hit by a car a few years prior to that.) Well, good news travels fast and people kept coming that entire summer to stare at the tree, and leave flowers and/or prayers. Here's a few pictures from back then.


(It takes a little imagination. I suppose the more faith you have, the less imagination you need.)


Here's a reporter spreading the "gospel". the news had been out for about 4 months when Telemundo (spanish TV) found out about it. They rushed over and did a live broadcast at 10pm that night.

Anyway, it gets pretty quiet in the winter with all the snow. But today being the first day of spring, business has picked up again. My roommates have discussed in the past (only half-jokingly) how we can make money off of this phenomenon. We could sell t-shirts and keychains. Or maybe we could set up a 24 hour online webcam from our living room window. (In the end, we always do nothing and just go to our jobs!)


In totally unrelated news, here's a book I saw in the bathroom at a friend's place.

Supposedly it's for their kids. When I mentioned it to them, I was told I wasn't the first person to find the title funny.

This is a picture I took a few weeks ago, but forgot to post. You have to blow it up to appreciate what's funny.

(It makes me think of that song by The Clash, "Should I stay, or should I go".)

And finally, I've become official at work.

I actually have all my diplomas framed and up on the wall. I just haven't brought a camera to work since then. Maybe tomorrow.

(BTW, these posts with all these pictures take a long time!)

5 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

Great pictures. I can't believe that tree!! Reminds me of a story I saw once where someone's house caught on fire and one board supposedly looked like the Virgin Mary. They were going to repair everything in the house except that board.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006  
Blogger Bridges Runner said...

Congrats on the run:) Sometimes it's breaking not just the physical barrier, but that oh so mental one!

The pictures are a lot of fun...I like that as an added feature to your blog.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006  
Blogger LeahC said...

Ah yes the Virgin Mary. We had a similar episode here in Chicago where .... ok I can't even make this up....on one of the highway underpasses there was a salt stain that supposedly looked like Mary. It got ridiculous with the amount of people going to visit and so on.

It got even better after people had written religous things all over the wall but then one person came and painted over the said salt stain....and that person proceeded to get arrested for defacing public property...

Good Job on the run. I know what you mean about 7 miles being a nice accomplishment now when during marathon training it used to be oh just an easy 7 today!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006  
Blogger brent said...

nice run, its always a good feeling pull off another long run like that. keep it going

Wednesday, March 22, 2006  
Blogger Rae said...

Great job with the run!! We carry our camera in a pocket on the Fuel Belt, so it makes it pretty easy to pull out and snap. We don't usually stop, so there are a lot of pics no one ever sees!! The key is to hold steady and take a lot!

I think the ladies on the left made you guys lose. They didn't seem very excited to be there/have their picture made. (JK if they know about your blog!!)

I wonder if CM is recording here? They were here just a few weeks ago.

Thursday, March 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home