Sunday, March 12, 2006

Colon Cancer Challenge

A little slow to get in this recap, but I had a busy day today.

Last night, my (ex) roommate's parents were in the apartment until well after midnight getting the seating arrangements done. So I didn't get to sleep last night until really late last night. That turned into a late morning today, and so like usual, I was rushing to the race at the last minute. Rather than trying to find a really close spot, I parked about 10 blocks north of the start, and on the other side of the park. It was drizzling lightly. The plan was to wear my jacket, which had my camera, up until the race start. Since there were a bunch of people from my hospital supposed to be there, I figured I'd be able to hand it off to someone I knew. Well when you get to the race as the people are already running, that's a problem. So I was stuck with my jacket and my camera for the whole race. After a mile or so I tied it around my waist. I could feel my camera bouncing around, and I had to tighten the arms tied around my waist every few mintues, as it felt like the jacket was falling down. What a pain.

Anyway, the first mile was tough. There were a lot of people in front of me, since I started pretty far back. I didn't try and weave too much, although I did run on the side of the road a few times. I was feeling pretty crappy for the entire first mile. (My shins weren't bad - I think in the end it was just a bruise. But cardiovascularly I was feeling it.) I figured I was lucky enough to be running at all, and I'd just try to get to the finish line. Given that I'd eaten about a million pounds of food over the weekend, it wasn't that surprising how tough a time I was having. Then I hit the first mile marker and I realized I had a time of 8:40 or so. No wonder I was having such a hard time - I was running much faster than I thought. So I just kept going and decided to see how long I could keep the pace up.

Mile 2 went by in 8:22. Now I started making calculations in my head. I had no idea how fast I'd run 4 miles in the past, but for some reason 35 minutes seemed pretty good in my head. Then I though that last week's pace was 8:29, and for a 4 mile race, that would be a total time of 33:56. So I started shooting for that time.

I was struggling more with my breathing as time went on, but I was able to maintain the pace. As I got closer to the end I realized I was going to make it. I pushed a little at the end for a strong finish, and ended up with a net of 33:07. I was amazed at how well (relatively) I had done, and was thinking I probably set a PR. Later when I got home, I realized that I'd run 4 miles in 12 seconds less, almost 5 years ago. (Interestingly, not only were the net times 12 seconds apart, but the overall times were also 12 seconds apart. Which means that in both races I crossed the start line at exactly 2:19. Strange.

So today I learned that 1) I should really wake up and leave earlier on race day, and 2) I should probably look up my PR's before races.

I did get a couple of pictures, including one with Dr. Weber, who runs Partners in Prevention. (I see him almost every day, but it's kind of weird to take pictures together at work. This will probably be my picture for next year's fundraising page.)




these shirts were great! the back's a little blurry, but it had some gastroenterologists name and number on it, and it said if you "mention this ad" you'd get 10% off!

In terms of fundraising, I raised $563. Thanks to all those who contributed. Even though the race is over, you can still continue to contribute if you feel so inspired.

After the race, I stopped by the hospital to make rounds. I figured since I just run in an event which raised money for their institution, I was well within my right to make rounds in a track suit. (But back to a regular suit tomorrow.)



After that was my (ex) roommate's wedding. It was really a great celebration, and the dancing was great. (Even if my shins didn't think so!) I think he's just such a great guy, that all his friends were really so happy for him. You could feel that in the atmosphere. At least I thought so.



The whole weekend has been great. His family spent the first part of the weekend with us, and ate with us in our apartment on Friday and Saturday. At the wedding I had a part by singing some of the songs during the ceremony. And tomorrow I'm back to spend the first sheva brachos celebration with the family. I've really felt like a part of the wedding party.

Tomorrow night is the start of Purim, one of the most fun holidays in the Jewish calendar. Feasting, drinking, all the good stuff! It goes until Tuesday night, and I've got a few parties to go to on Tuesday. Nice!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Great race! Congrats!

Monday, March 13, 2006  
Blogger LeahC said...

Purim sounds like fun. eat drink and be merry! Good job on the race!

Monday, March 13, 2006  
Blogger Nancy Toby said...

Sounds like a great race!

So do you have to wear one of those ties to work that rarely gets actually cleaned and carries bacteria from patient to patient? Just curious. :-) Probably the sweaty track suit is healthier for everyone!

Have fun!!

Monday, March 13, 2006  
Blogger Cris said...

Congrats on the near-PR. Isn't it neat to be thinking how hard it is and then to realize you're really blazing along and that this is what working out is meant to be? You are a runner!

Monday, March 13, 2006  
Blogger Rae said...

Shoot! I read your post yesterday and was about to leave a comment when Brent asked me for his jacket and the rest is lost in no comment history!!

Great job on the race! I love the green shirts. People who dress up/go the extra mile for races are my fave!

The wedding looks like so much fun! Little known fact: In my church's VBS production as a teen I got to play the part of the Jewish bride. So technically, Brent may not be my first hubby! What is the bright blue thing that looks like it is about to be thrown at the happy couple in the bottom corner????

Tuesday, March 14, 2006  
Blogger Darrell said...

Lessons learned and calculating race times while in motion. Who said runners aren't smart. I'm impressed.
Good job and way to plan for next year.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home