Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Too fast - or so I thought

Another beautiful day in New York today. I kept thinking how it will be so nice to run outside today. Of course in the end I procastinated too much, and it was around sunset by the time I got out there. I stubbornly still wore shorts and a T-shirt, for the first time this year. I was chattering at first, but I warmed up by the end. Unfortunately, the wind was still annoying, and in one direction my hands felt the chill.

Anyway, I did my 4 miles as planned. Since I now consider 4 miles a "short run" again, I thought I'd try to do them fast. Or at least relatively fast.

My splits are a little screwed up, but I think I did the first mile in about 8:15. I've run that fast before, but never for the first mile. I had to slow down a bit for the second mile, and finished the first 2 in 16:51. I then did the second 2 miles a little slower still, in 17:17 for both of them. Total running time 34:08. (Oh, did I mention I rested for 4 minutes in between?)

I thought that if I didn't count that break, that these would be the fastest 4 miles I've run. Boy was I surprised to see that my PR for 4 miles is actually 32:55! I wasn't even close. I set that PR 5 years ago, at around the same time I set all my short distance PR's. It seems as though when I increased the distances I was running, I got slower. Even for the short runs. I think the reason is that I don't really adapt my pace to the distance I'm running. I just run at what feels comfortable.

I'd like to work at increasing my effort level for these shorter runs. I should probably do some more serious speedwork, and one of these days I'll get around to it.

I had yet another wedding last night, but this one was Sephardic, which is a first for me. There are a lot of differences, but the one that stands out the most is the time. It's pretty common for Jewish weddings to be on a weeknight. However, they usually start around 6:30, and by 11 they're wrapping up. This one was called for 8:30, and the ceremony didn't even start until about 10:15. The ceremony was nice, but long, and ended at 11:20! I was eating spiced beef at midnight, and cake at 1 am! (I was still feeling the after-effects this morning when I woke up.)


They has these LCD screens next to the chupah. Even when you couldn't tell what was going on from your seat, you could just check out the "jumbotron".


Doesn't anybody else go to work the next day?



Dessert anyone?


Have a drink anyone?

The wedding itself was really beautiful. The groom was one of the graduating medical students, and a lot of his classmates were there. It was really a nice atmosphere. As an experiment I've uploaded some video to youtube. If you have any interest you can click on these links.

Video: Walking up to the Chupah.

Video: Placing the ring on her finger.

Video: Jewish dancing.

They cut the cake at the end, and did that whole thing where they get cake on each other's faces. Is that always done? Or only since the Wedding Crashers came out?




Back to a quiet night tonight. On tap for tomorrow though is the NIT championship game at Madison Square Garden. I'll be there with ShoreTurtle cheering my heart out for Michigan! Even though I've never actually met ShoreTurtle, I feel like I know him pretty well. I think it's going be a lot of fun, and I'm really looking forward to tomorrow night!

2 Comments:

Blogger E-Speed said...

wow the wedding food spread is gorgeous! Looks like a very nice wedding! Hope you had fun despite being out so late on a week night!

GO BLUE!

Wednesday, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Rae said...

Have fun at the game!! ST is a freak so be careful.

The food looks SO good! I'll have to check out the videos when I get home. It looks like a beautiful wedding, I can't imagine having a "jumbotron"!

Most of the weddings we attend have the cake smashing, but we did NOT do that. I told Brent before hand that would be a GRAVE mistake on his part!

Thursday, March 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home