Sunday, September 17, 2006

Good old Central Park

It's been a while since I posted. I've run a few times, but work has been busy, like usual. I was on call last Friday and Saturday, and had a wedding on Sunday. It took all week to catch up.

So since the New Haven race 2 weeks ago, where I really pushed hard at the end, my shins have been acting up again. I think I ran once during last week, and then did 6 miles last weekend. But it wasn't really 6 miles, it was more like little spurts of 1 mile, separated by walking breaks. I know some people do that all the time, but I wasn't stopping from deconditioning, it was from shin pain. And I don't like that.

This week I also ran once during the week on Tuesday, and it didn't go so well. So I rested until today, and then decided to give it a chance again. I woke up (relatively) early, and headed to the city with my new running partners.

Our plan was for one 6 mile loop of Central Park. For those of you in NYC, we started on the west side and went clockwise - which I think is the easier direction.

The first mile was pretty painful for me, and my shins were acting up. I think if I was alone I probably would have stopped. But I knew if I stopped at this point, I'd end up stopping every mile - like last week. So I told myself I'd try to get to the halfway point, and then stop for a stretching break there.

Well the pain didn't get worse, and probably lessened a little. By halfway I felt I could just keep going, and so I did. We ended up just running the loop straight through. We weren't fast (about 64-65 minutes), but that was fine. I didn't hurt too badly at the end, and I feel ok now, so that's the main thing. (I did skip tennis today, as I think that's been contributing to the problem as well.)

Unfortunately, I forgot my Garmin in the car, so no cool pictures of Central Park today.

Next weekend the High Holidays start, and so 3 out of the next 4 weekends (both Saturday and Sunday) are Jewish holidays, which preclude me from running. In order to keep up the training I'm going to have to be creative with my time, and/or -gasp- wake up really early.

I'll keep you posted. (Intermittently.)

3 Comments:

Blogger kivster said...

great run today danny - and me with my two badges of courage. finally got my blog up and running - though I am sure there's nothing anyone wants to read - maybe i will post more later or save it for tomorrow.

Sunday, September 17, 2006  
Blogger Rae said...

How many weddings do you go to???? Good grief!! I'm thinking you're a regular at the Target wedding kiosk.

Great job with the running!! You'll have to get ready and come run the 4-H marathon with me next year, I know that one will be a must-do every year!

Sunday, September 17, 2006  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

I'm thinking you need to set up a training schedule for the Holidays. Maybe something that shifts the long runs to midweek (and they you get up early!).

Watch those shins, Danny. Streeeetttch. Massage. Ice. Rest.

Sunday, September 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home