Friday, September 22, 2006

(High) Holiday season...

Rosh Hashanah, the jewish new year, starts tonight. I'm back in Toronto to spend the holiday with my family. I've always chuckled to myself about the misconception many non-jews have about this holiday. I guess because it sounds like New Years, it's often assumed that it's a party holiday. Actually, it's quite far from that. There's quite extensive services in synagague, and the theme of the day is that we're being judged on our actions of the past year, and that what's in store for us in the following year is being decided. Heavy duty.

Anyway, it also starts off a ten day period of repentance, which culminates on Yom Kippur. I think when you're busy with work it's often hard to get into the frame of mind beforehand. However, going to synagague on Rosh Hashanah and hearing the familiar tunes, always sets the tone for the next ten days. I haven't been home for this holiday in a while, so it should be interesting.

For the record, I did get in a run today. Sunday's part of the holiday, so I pushed up my "long" run of 6 miles. I didn't know of any specific path around here, so at first I was kind of running back and forth on the local streets. Eventually I found a big park around here, and starting running on some path there. Eventually the path turned into a gravel road, and then an abandoned road near a ravine. It eventually popped out onto regular streets around the corner from my old house. It was kind of cool. I wore my Garmin, so when I get back to NYC I can post a cool map - hopefully. I also took a picture of the "trail running" portion.

The shins aren't great, but hanging in there. I'm trying not to push too hard with the training. I'll have to keep them in mind during prayers as well. (See last year's entry!)

Anyway, I wish all of you a happy and healthy new year!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's to a healthy and happy new year! :)

Friday, September 22, 2006  
Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Very interesting...those shins are certainly worthy of your prayers! :)

Saturday, September 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home