Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Crosstraining!

First off, here's my run from Toronto.


I thought the map would look more impressive, since I had run through this park. You can see it in the top right portion of the path I took, but it doesn't look all the impressive. It's hard to believe, but when I was in there it seemed much more impressive. Here's a picture I took from my cellphone while in there.



It was also cool because this trail, which looks like it's miles away from civilization, exits the park near a ravine that was very near to my old house. I lived there for almost 15 years and didn't know it connected to the park.

Yesterday was another fast day on the Jewish calendar. (Kind of practice for Yom Kippur, next week.) After a quick snack, I headed out for a 4 mile run with my new running partners.


I've run this route many times, but I always like the way the map comes out. It's kind of cool how the surroundings change from urban to bridges and water (ocean!) over such a short distance.

Anyway, the run was extremely painful. My shin splints have started up again, and I was really disappointed. I don't think I've been increasing my mileage too quickly, but it always seems to hurt when I get to this point. It's not so painful, but it's enough to get me upset that I may not be able to keep progressing.


I did ice afterwards! My legs didn't really hurt today, but I can feel my left shin when I move certain ways, or stand too long. (I've got four cases in the OR tomorrow, so I hope it's not too bad.)

So obviously I didn't run today, but the weather was nice and I was done work early. So I went to play tennis. It probably wasn't the smartest thing to do, but the season is going to end soon and I couldn't resist. We played 3 sets, which was record for us. I was really smoking the first two sets, winning 6-3 and 6-0. The last set was a tough battle, and I really tired at the end. Not so much in my legs or cardiovascularly, but my right arm was tired. I managed to pull it off, and win it in the tiebreaker 7-6 (7-5).

I've mentioned in the past how awesome the running track and tennis courts are. I brought my camera today, so I could get a few pictures.



(You can see there were "real" runners on the track today. I could tell they were "real" not so much from their speed, but more from their attire!)

I titled the post "Crosstraining" because I then road my roommate's bike back to the apartment. It was only about 2 miles, but I haven't ridden a bike for that long in about 20 years! It wasn't that easy, but was actually fun. I've been meaning to do it for a while, but I really have to get myself a bike. Perhaps now might be a good time at the end of the season.

(BTW, does anyone else find it to be a big stress coming up with a good title for these posts?)

Anyway, while I was uploading my pictures and organizing them, I came across a few more interesting ones.


I went out with some friends a few weeks ago, and we went for pizza late Saturday night. I took this picture because it was pretty weird to see Broadway so empty.


Because one of my interests is obesity surgery, I was invited to a lunch meeting on obesity research. This is what they served (apples, crackers, and carrots). I should have taken a picture at the end of the meeting, but as you can imagine, it looked exactly the same!

Finally, I've updated my sidebar. Both of my new running partners have started running blogs (here and here). Please stop by to offer encouragement.

5 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

Man, you can't get a break with those shins. Ice, stretch and take it easy.

I was trying to find an image in that first map. I think the park side looks like a dogs head, weird, huh? I love all the green. We don't get to see a whole lot of that here in southern Cal.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Bummer on the shins, Danny. Mine have started that pre-splint ache. I think its the asphalt. The pain disappears when I jump onto grass. I know its hard to find trails in the city. But dirt might be just as good.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006  
Blogger Rae said...

Do you need some new shoes? Usually if I have shin problems it comes from that.

Great pics!! I love the one of Broadway. I didn't think that street ever died down.

Thursday, September 28, 2006  
Blogger Cris said...

i had shin splints for awhile. got my orthotics looked at and was taught a few new stretches and excercises and poof the shin splints went away. hope yours resolve pretty soon, too.

Sunday, October 01, 2006  
Blogger Thomas said...

Are you sure it's shin splints? I had them last year, and in the early stages the pain typically disappeared after running for 10 minutes. It was only when the pain didn't disappear that I took real notice of the problem.

Monday, October 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home