Sunday, January 07, 2007

Smashing a PR



I've felt pretty good lately, so I knew my 5 mile PR was attainable. But today's result was completely unexpected.

Like usual I got to the race pretty late. With the weather so nice, there were a ton of people. (5,000 announced, but 4,174 finishers.) The baggage area was a mob scene, and I got to the race start only a few minutes before the horn. The road was completely packed, and I was left standing on the grass nearby. I had to duck under the tape and join the crown after a minute or so. I ended up crossing the start line more than 2 minutes after the horn.

For the first mile, I was so annoyed at the traffic. I tried to stay on the side, but I really couldn't get any momentum going. I had to stop to a slow jog more than a few times. I remember thinking "Oh well, no PR today". When I got to the first mile marker, after thinking I was going so slow, I was shocked to see my watch reading 8:47. (Which was about my old PR pace.)

I don't know why I never learn. I think if I didn't start in a crowd, I would start way too fast. When I'm forced to run "slow" in a race, I probably run at a speed that's better for conserving some energy.

Anyway, after a mile it started to open up a touch. It was still crowded, but there were spaces to move into. I was happy about that first mile's time, and I knew I could speed it up and set a new PR. I was really feeling it.

8:52
7:43
7:40
7:31
7:15

As you can see from my splits, with each mile I felt better and better. I was keeping up the pace, and I knew I was going to be able to hold it for the whole race. It really felt great. I even had enough energy to really pour it on for the final stretch.

I finished with a net time 39:00, for a pace of 7:48. I basically smashed my old PR by almost a minute a mile. I'd be worried that they measured the course wrong, but the GPS data confirms it. Wow.

What's cool about this PR is that it makes me realize how much more I have in me. I don't think I'm anywhere near my potential in terms of speed. I think the speedwork and taking a few pounds off helped, but I'm in the process of doing more of both. I expect to keep upping the PR speeds for each of my distances.

Speaking of my diet, I was pretty good on Saturday. When I went out Saturday night I had a diet snapple, while my friends had shawarma platters. Today was the wedding, and I'll pay for that. But I wasn't too bad, and so I think it's fair to say I "survived" the weekend ok. Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

8 Comments:

Blogger RunForTheNecklace said...

Good luck on PRing. :) I just ran my first one too. Not officially training - just going for my first Half now. :) Do you have a favorite race distance? I am trying to decide.

Sunday, January 07, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great job with the 5 mile PR. Those split times are a perfect racing scenario. Good for you and congrats on the weight loss too. It will definitely help your running.

Monday, January 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Congrats, way to take advantage of great racing weather.

Monday, January 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I just say WOW? That's what I wanted yesterday, so I'm so glad someone went out there and ran a good race! Congrats. You're just going to get faster and faster!

Monday, January 08, 2007  
Blogger Rae said...

Congrats on the new PR! That's an awesome time!!!!!

Monday, January 08, 2007  
Blogger jeanne said...

fantastic!!! how did you GET so fast so fast?!! that time is unbelievable!
Great job!

Friday, January 12, 2007  
Blogger Cris said...

Good job Dan!! I am sooooo jealous. You mind if I email you sometime for some tips on speedwork?

Tuesday, January 16, 2007  
Blogger Bridges Runner said...

Sorry for the late reply! Fantastic race! Hope you get over that injury soon because it looks like good things are ahead of you:)

Thursday, January 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home