Sunday, January 14, 2007

New Blogger

I made the switch, and I hope I don't regret it. (I didn't really need the new features, but I knew I'd have to get it over with sometime.)

I ran 12 miles today in the dense fog. I listened to 3 episodes of Phedippidations while I ran. I think he says in every single episode that "it's a beautiful day" or something like that. As I ran through the crappy weather today I was wondering what he'll say about today. (Actually, by the time I got to the third episode, I think I figured it all out. In that episode he said it's a "beautiful day", and his son, who was with him, said "no, it's not"!)

So 12 miles. Why? Well, I think I may have neglected to mention that I decided on the Miami Half Marathon, which is in 2 weeks. Last week was the race, so this week was my last chance to get a long run in. I'm on call for my group, so I was nervous about getting this run in. Fortunately, I wasn't busy during the day, so it worked out. Tomorrow I'm on call for the Emergency Room so I may not have the same amount of free time.

I really had a tough time today. Not so much in terms of endurance; I was running comfortably. It was my right knee that was really bothering me. I often have problems with my shins, but never with my knee. I had to get the run in today, but I didn't want to hurt myself. So I stopped a few times during the run. It would get better each time, but then start back up again. A real pain on the outside of my knee. I think it affected the way I was running, since it's now hours later, and I'm still limping. My thighs hurt more than usual.

I hope I'm alright. I iced and stretched, so we'll see what happens. I'm not running tomorrow, and I penciled in a short 4 miler for Tuesday. If I can remember, I'll try and ice a few times before that.

The diet's going ok. For all of you that were jealous of the super quick weight loss, I think I'm back down to Earth. I barely ate on Thursday, and I was up 1.4 pounds on Friday. I guess that whole thing about the first few pounds being "all water" might have some truth to it. I was pretty sure I was really maintaining a huge calorie deficit, and that my weight loss was real. I still think that I'm at least partially right, and I should be able to keep up a good rate of weight loss, even if it's not 4 pounds a week.

4 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

That's the longest run in a while huh? Keep an eye, or better yet an ice pack, on that knee. There are a lot of people plagued with IT band issues.

Have fun in Miami!

Sunday, January 14, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard 2lbs a week is about the best you can hope to do safely...but kudos to you if you're kicking that to the side! :)

kick some kiester in miami!

Monday, January 15, 2007  
Blogger jeanne said...

nice work, but careful of that knee! and everyone KNOWs that men lose more weight faster than women do! 1-2 lbs a week..nice and safe and will stay off.

Take names in miami.

Monday, January 15, 2007  
Blogger Rae said...

Ooooh Miami!! You will have fun!!

So how is new blogger treating you? I haven't upgraded yet.

Monday, January 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home