Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Injured - Definitely

I'm really bummed. I tried to run today, and had to quit less than a minute in.





I spent more time getting ready for the cold, then I did actually running. I was really pissed off when I had to go back home.

My knee just hurt. Not terrible pain, but enough to make me feel that I was doing something bad to it. It had felt a little off over the last few days, but really wasn't causing me pain. I've iced it religiously, and I've been stretching as well. To no avail. At least not yet.

The rest of today, I felt my knee bother me a little whenever I walked fast. It doesn't bother me on stairs, but when I walk on a downward slope I feel it.

I'm really frustrated about this. I never had a knee problem before, and now I'm worried about having a chronic problem. I'm pretty sure it's ITB, although I don't have every exact symptom. I'll definitely keep icing and stretching, and I'll take some more time off running. I'm guessing I'll have to take the rest of the week off. I still want to be able to run the half in Miami next Sunday. I think this coming Sunday will be a last chance to get some sort of "long" run in, maybe 6 or 8 miles. That will probably be the deciding day. Unless any of you have some better ideas...

I had so many running plans for this year that I could see fading away. I'm also worried about losing control of my weight loss plan as well. It's very upsetting, especially since it's been going so well. Sigh...

6 Comments:

Blogger Audrey said...

hey danny. i'm sorry to hear you are hurt. i would suggest icing (as you are), NSAIDs for a few days, and using a foam roller on your IT band. don't foam roll over the part that hurts (the knee area) but over the IT band itself.

i don't think you destroyed your whole 07. it's still january! even if you had to stop running for a month you could be in good shape for april.

anyway, take care and keep us posted.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007  
Blogger rivkayael said...

So sorry about that...may be a good time to see a PT/do weight and cross training? Take care, keep up the updates. We're all rooting for you.

Thursday, January 18, 2007  
Blogger Bridges Runner said...

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully it's just a slight bump in the road and you can get back out there soon!

Thursday, January 18, 2007  
Blogger LeahC said...

sorry to hear about your knee, that's sucky :-( I have heard really good things about those foam rollers...you might want to try one of those on your ITB

Thursday, January 18, 2007  
Blogger Morrissey said...

hang in there man, i have the same injury as you! it is pretty weird though....it actually comes and goes...it gets hurt and sore after the first 3 minutes then the pain goes away.

in the meantime, im just resorting to cross-training

good luck man! take good care of yourself and you'll be back in the running in no-time!

Thursday, January 18, 2007  
Blogger brent said...

that stinks. hang in there though. i had something weird going on with my knee last year and it went away after a month or so, with less intensity training. all hops for '07 is not lost!

Thursday, January 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home