Thursday, January 18, 2007

Injury - Progress Report

Thanks for all the well wishes. I should have realized that last post would prompt that, but it's still embarrassing. I don't post my problems in order to encourage comments, only as a way to vent my frustration.

In any case, I saw a physical therapist today. It was an unofficial visit; she's a friend who works in the hospital. Actually I just stopped by to complain, but she checked out the knee anyway.

So she thinks it's not the IT band. It didn't feel tight, and she couldn't elicit any tenderness around the knee. We weren't sure what it could be, until the possibility of quad tightness came up. My quads have felt tight recently, and when she checked them out I got the "oh yeah, those are tight". I haven't done any more reading about this, but it certainly makes sense that tight quads could lead to knee problems.

I've always stretched my quads as part of my pre- and post-running routine, but I haven't been doing them 100% properly. So after a lesson today, I'm going to add stretching my quads to this recovery plan. I'm still not having any pain, but my knee does bother me when I move fast. I want to run tomorrow, but I'm going to resist, and rest until Sunday.

My weight loss has stalled. I'm really not eating much, but my exercise has obviously dropped off. I knew the previous rate of weight loss wasn't going to keep up, but I had hoped to keep it going for as long as possible. Either way, the ultimate goal is still to lose twenty pounds in twenty weeks. (And that's now 13 pounds in 17 weeks.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Randy - Maniac #788 said...

Hi Danny, I'm a relatively new runner, but an old runner at the same time. I am interested in the stretching exercises that you are doing pre and post run if you can share.
Good luck with your knee and with the weight loss. I've lost 36.2 pounds since last August and have a goal of losing about 30 more. In the middle of all this the running bug has hit me again, for like the 3rd time in my life and I hope that this time it is here to stay. My brother just finished the Houston Marathon last Sunday and I got to run like 6.5 miles with him, up to the finish line, it was awesome and he was totally surprised to see me do that.
Good luck.

Friday, January 19, 2007  
Blogger Darrell said...

Good news about the ITB. Hope the quad stretching is just the thing!

Miami, here you come!

Friday, January 19, 2007  
Blogger Rae said...

Glad to hear it's not the ITB (or anything to sounds extremely terrible)

What were the recommended stretches?

TGIF!

Friday, January 19, 2007  
Blogger E-Speed said...

whenever my knees hurt I stretch my quads and it works wonders! Glad that that is probably your problem and not something more serious!

Nothing a few stretches can't heal!

Wednesday, January 24, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home